Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloads Directory not found!

Beans

Downloads Directory not found!

Hello all, very inexperienced Linux user here (using an Asus chromebook):
    I'm trying to launch an installation (Pycharm) from my Downloads folder (trying to get started with some Python practice!) At the same time, I'm trying to figure out Linux. So far, I've opened a terminal and learned/practiced several commands while using advice i've read online, but I can't seem to get anywhere! I've tried:
    a)
    cd ~/Downloads
    and received 'No such file or directory exists'

b)
    So I've pwd and I know that i'm in the directory-> home/[my user name]

c) I tried "ls -la" to see if it's just hidden, but I just see
    total 16drwxr-xr-x 1 hannabethell hannabethell 90 Aug 23 09:37 .
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24 Aug 22 12:28 ..
    -rw-r--r-- 1 hannabethell hannabethell 220 Aug 22 12:28 .bash_logout
    -rw-r--r-- 1 hannabethell hannabethell 3526 Aug 22 12:28 .bashrc
    drwxr-xr-x 1 hannabethell hannabethell 62 Aug 22 12:28 .config
    -rw-r--r-- 1 hannabethell hannabethell 675 Aug 22 12:28 .profile
    -rw------- 1 hannabethell hannabethell 104 Aug 23 09:37 .Xauthority

Can you advise? Thanks for your patience, etc.

Beans

Re: Downloads Directory not found!

The cd command you posted should have taken you to the Downloads directory for that user and the ls -la command should have output any and all files in that directory. Interesting that only hidden files show since all directories/files should show. Is this a new install? Were you ever able to access the Downloads directory and did you have all the standard directories/files in your /home/user directory? If not, the installation was probably not successful. Where did you download PyCharm, what site?

Beans

I suspect you've probably (accidentally) removed your Downloads directory.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    The cd command you posted should have taken you to the Downloads directory for that user and the ls -la command should have output any and all files in that directory. Interesting that only hidden files show since all directories/files should show. Is this a new install? Were you ever able to access the Downloads directory and did you have all the standard directories/files in your /home/user directory? If not, the installation was probably not successful. Where did you download PyCharm, what site?
    It is a new install of Linux and a new download of Pycharm. So far I haven't been able to access the Downloads directory via Linux, but I can access it in the usual Google Chrome way (through a folder--does that make sense?)

In my home/user directory I have: recent, audio, images, videos, my files. Inside my files, i have downloads, linux files, and play files.

I downloaded Pycharm from jetbrains.com..it's possible the installation wasn't successful, but then why don't any of my other downloaded files show up with the original command?

Beans

You might be right that I removed or transfer it, but I can still access the files through my Chrome directory...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hanna-bethell View Post
    You might be right that I removed or transfer it, but I can still access the files through my Chrome directory...
    Even if you've removed the directory, they'll probably still show up in your browser until you clear the Downloads from inside the browser. But just because they are visible in your Downloads history in the browser, it does not mean the ~/Downloads is actually still there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fragglebliss View Post
    Even if you've removed the directory, they'll probably still show up in your browser until you clear the Downloads from inside the browser. But just because they are visible in your Downloads history in the browser, it does not mean the ~/Downloads is actually still there.
    I don't quite understand your reply--I'm accessing the downloads in my directory just fine (not in the browser), the trouble is I can't seem to get access in Linux.

Beans

You mention that you're using a chromebook. Are you using Ubuntu inside crouton ? If so, you are inside a chroot environment when using Ubuntu and '~/Downloads' in Ubuntu and Downloads in ChromeOS are not necessarily the same ...

Holger

Beans

Question Re: Downloads Directory not found!

Quote Originally Posted by Holger_Gehrke View Post
    You mention that you're using a chromebook. Are you using Ubuntu inside crouton ? If so, you are inside a chroot environment when using Ubuntu and '~/Downloads' in Ubuntu and Downloads in ChromeOS are not necessarily the same ...

Holger
    Thanks for the reply (and thanks everybody above).

To my knowledge, I'm not using Ubuntu inside crouton (to my understanding crouton is an extension you can download to let you use Linux and ChromeOS simultaneously??)
    For the record, I'm not using Ubuntu--my Asus chrome had Linux that I just needed to switch on.

What you say here about Downloads in Linux and Downloads in ChromeOS is kind of blowing my mind, but would help explain why my commands aren't working. Can you elaborate? How do I make it so Linux can 'name' files in my Downloads in ChromeOS?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

In a terminal run command
    Code:
    sudo updatedb && locate Downloads
    That may show us where the Downloads directory now resides, assuming you did not totally remove it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast