Thread: 18.04: Samba very slow

Beans

18.04: Samba very slow

Hi, I have two PCs on a Gigabit cable network. I mount the remote PC's Folder on my local PC and copy a 2GB file and it transfers at around 900K/sec.

Is that as good as it gets?

I tried using CIFS-utils but that was even slower in one direction, although really fast in the other.

After quite a lot of online reading I removed CIFS in favor of just using Samba 4.xx.

I am a total newbie to the Networking stuff, are there some things I can do to speed this up?

Thanks
    Last edited by FerryGnu; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 18.04: Samba very slow

Last edited by him610; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:48 PM. Reason: added another link
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans

Thanks, the NFS sounds good, but, the Dummies site has a warning about NFS and security but does not go into how to use the security. Is the RPCSEC_GSS automatically activated with the NFS 4.xx?

NFS has security vulnerabilities, so you shouldn’t set up NFS on systems that are directly connected to the Internet without using the RPCSEC_GSS security that comes with NFS version 4
    One of the PC is connected to the Internet. I have been searching on RPCSEC_GSS, but the results are all way too technical for my tired old brain.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What OS does each system run? If they are all Unix based, then NFS can be reasonably secured with static IPs on the LAN. If you are really concerned, there is server-to-server Kerberos authentication. I use NFSv3 with just the static IP method. If you don't control the network sufficiently, then this might not be a good idea.

Do you not have a router? Certain things need to be a dedicated device IMHO. The WAN router is one of the most important stand-alone devices necessary for network security.

On a GigE wired network with quality NICs, you should expect about 65MBps for network transfers until the storage parts slow it down. That applies to both CIFS and NFS, though NFS has lots of better aspects. If you have SSDs, then that should continue. With spinning HDDs, 125Mbps is about the top speed.

If any part of this network is using wifi, all bets are off. Wifi is notorious for terrible throughput.
    Last edited by TheFu; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:14 PM.