Thread: problem loading animation

Beans

problem loading animation

Hi,

got an old imac as a present. installed ubuntu fresh by erasing the HD. new to Linux. so, besides the wifi problem that i may address later, i found in the "Help" section, as i try to e.g. watch the animation about getting started, launch application, it stops after a couple of seconds, the pointer (mouse cursor) stays with the hand sign, and thereafter comes the message "ubuntu encountered an internal error...send report...".

I'm asking this specialy since I'm afraid i might have a hw problem. See, i just wanted a working computer. with apple original os many problems regarding animation and video plus not loading some pages at all (including java.com - i intend to program again after couple of years no activity and no computer) occurred that i switched to linux. i couldnt dl ff, adobe flash also wouldnt install...for example.
    the apple is from about 2010. also i never used apple.

p.s. also i checked if i can play a dvd movie and as i click on open with videos, comes the msg "unable to play the file, dvd source is required to play the file, but not installed.

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by seydashrafi; August 21st, 2019 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: problem loading animation

For the DVD to play you probably need to install libdvdread4.

Can you give us a make and model of that machine so that we can get some specs on it? Ubuntu may be too heavy of a desktop and you don't have enough memory to run it. Also, most Imacs had horrible video cards in them.

Beans

i dont understand it "can u give us a make"

*** uh ok, on the carton i see this: imac 24"/2.93/4gb/512/640/MSE/DEU

what would be the suggestion for another lighter distro for this machine. my intention is to practice basics in programming (java mainly), yet be able to play some music and watch youtube..
    Last edited by seydashrafi; August 21st, 2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: made concise and correcter

Beans

Thread moved to the "Apple Hardware Users" forum.

Beans

Any helpful idea!?