Thread: Best way to boot Ubuntu from a network location?

Beans

Question Best way to boot Ubuntu from a network location?

I have one desktop PC and one laptop, both running Windows 10 currently. I would like to use a remote Ubuntu on both of these PCs. Basically the same system which I would boot from a network location. What is the best way to go about this?

Both of my PCs have already VirtualBox installed on them. I thought about creating a VDI on my Synology NAS and then launching the virtual system through VirtualBox from the computer I am using at the moment. I reckon running Ubuntu through VirtualBox would eat up resources though. Maybe there are more straightforward methods of doing this? My NAS appears to be TFTP-capable. Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Best way to boot Ubuntu from a network location?

Last edited by TheFu; August 19th, 2019 at 11:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

LTSP is a foolproof way to do this. I do it at home. I run it off my server not a nas though so I'm not sure how that affects things. If you can create vms or containers on the nas then just make an ubuntu server vm and roll on through.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    LTSP is a foolproof way to do this. I do it at home. I run it off my server not a nas though so I'm not sure how that affects things. If you can create vms or containers on the nas then just make an ubuntu server vm and roll on through.
    If I understand correctly, LTSP is a thin client solution. My Synology NAS would be nowhere near powerful enough to function as an LTSP server.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Also functions for fat clients. I run my home media centers off of it. They use their local hardware, my server just serves the root image and /home directories. I think as soon as you install a desktop environment into the chroot you are enabling fat client mode.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Why do you need to boot it from a network location? Why not always keep it running? I like VirtualBox - but its not the most stable way to run a server. I'd think about KVM, or other virtualization software if you really need stable virtualization.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Why do you need to boot it from a network location? Why not always keep it running? I like VirtualBox - but its not the most stable way to run a server. I'd think about KVM, or other virtualization software if you really need stable virtualization.
    I have 2 computers and I can't always use the same one. I have to take turns on these machines. I would like to have a way to run the same Ubuntu system regardless of which computer I am using.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    Also functions for fat clients. I run my home media centers off of it. They use their local hardware, my server just serves the root image and /home directories. I think as soon as you install a desktop environment into the chroot you are enabling fat client mode.
    Oh really? That actually sounds like what I have been looking for! Gotta delve into that.