Thread: FreeCAD not installing from Ubuntu Software centre

Beans

FreeCAD not installing from Ubuntu Software centre

Hi,
    I have used FreeCAD 0.17 for about a year now, and it used to install without issue. In recent times FreeCAD has been upgraded to version 0.18. It appears that now Ubuntu (I am not sure whether any other Linux falvours have an issue though) is no longer able to install it. I have tried via the command line as well as using the Ubuntu Software centre.

I get no errors during the install using the command line as instructed here:
    http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...u-18-04-16-04/

However when the application starts, most of the menu options are simply not there. It's as if half the application has disappeared, and you cannot even load or save documents etc. I found this thread that implies there may be dependencies missing, but I have not been successful in getting FreeCAD up and running again.
    https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=34629

If I try to use Ubuntu Software Centre to do the install, it progresses to about 15% and then states "Unable to install FreeCAD: Cannot perform the following tasks:" No tasks are listed, so I have no idea why the Software Centre is not working.

I appreciate that this is more a FreeCAD Forum issue as opposed to an Ubuntu issue (I think...) but given the problem appears to be prevailing with Ubuntu, and I haven't had much luck with the suggestions on their forum, I'm hoping somebody here is a bit more of an Ubuntu/FreeCAD guru than I am.

Thanks guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: FreeCAD not installing from Ubuntu Software centre

What version of 'buntu are you using? Did you clean install this version or update from a previous version?

Beans

I had a similar problem with freecad, it acted like it was loading but just just exited after a short time, but I am using Ubuntu 19.04, which may not be relevant.

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I did some general upgrade or update and that action installed some upgraded or new libraries. After that my freecad installation worked.

Good luck.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

What does this command show .. missing dependencies ..
    Code:
    apt-cache depends freecad
    although I understand that this only works for installed packages.

There is another utility here.

Beans

Thanks for the support guys. Sorry, I neglected to mention I am running Ubuntu 18.04 (all kept up to date too). I was running FreeCAD 0.17 just fine, and have in fact installed that a couple of times before without issue. When you say a "clean install", I presume you are referring to FreeCAD (not Ubuntu, though for the record, Ubuntu 18.04 is a software migration/upgrade from 16.04 that I previously used). With regard to FreeCAD, first I simply installed new over old, then deleted the whole lot, and did a clean install of new (0.18). I got the same result both times.

To clarify, I installed first the standard Ubuntu install (after making sure all versions of FreeCAD had been removed from my machine) using the command line as prescribed here:
    https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Install_on_Unix

Next I installed the PPA option to keep it up to date, following all instructions as listed in the aforementioned website (for the stable release of FreeCAD).

I noticed that after doing this, I get the following:
    FreeCAD PPA upgrade.jpg

It certainly does appear to be complaining about missing dependencies, though whether they are critical or not, I wouldn't know (if for example they are just part of the help files, then not vital to program execution, but Murpy's law dictates I'm almost certainly wrong!)

Running
    apt-cache depends freecad

I got the following:

FreeCAD Dependancies.png

Cheers!