Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't the Ubuntu download page discourage people from using non-LTS versions?

Beans

Why doesn't the Ubuntu download page discourage people from using non-LTS versions?

Posts like this one are all too common.

If you visit the download page at ubuntu.com, you'll see two options for the desktop distribution, 18.04LTS and 19.04. While the LTS version is highlighted in red, there is no other indication that most users should choose that option. If I were a new user coming to Ubuntu for the first time, I would choose the 19.04 version on the belief that newer is better. In fact, clicking the 19.04 link simply begins downloading the software, and the accompanying page says nothing about why interim releases are not a good choice except for experienced users. The original download page says nothing about the difference between LTS and interim releases either.

Shouldn't people be encouraged to use the LTS versions? How would new users know what the differences are between LTS and interim releases?
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 17th, 2019 at 07:02 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: Why doesn't the Ubuntu download page discourage people from using non-LTS version

I think it does, for those who actually read the pages. At least the Xubuntu page does. Most know, I hope before they go to download, that the LTS editions are stable and others are development versions.

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans

Re: Why doesn't the Ubuntu download page discourage people from using non-LTS version

Hi Seijisensei, you mentioned that the LTS is highlighted in red, when I go it is green and 19.04 is just a white box. Just wondering why the difference. I am using 19.04 with unity DE.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Shouldn't people be encouraged to use the LTS versions? How would new users know what the differences are between LTS and interim releases?
    Yes, I agree, the users should be guided to download an iso file with the latest LTS version.

The only cases, when I would recommend a newer interim version, are

- when the computer hardware is too new for the latest LTS version, and it is worthwhile to try with the latest possible linux kernel and its hardware drivers (happens now and then),

- when the user needs a new version of some software, that is not backported to the latest LTS version (happens very seldom).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    Hi Seijisensei, you mentioned that the LTS is highlighted in red, when I go it is green and 19.04 is just a white box. Just wondering why the difference. I am using 19.04 with unity DE.
    I see green here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    I think it does, for those who actually read the pages. At least the Xubuntu page does. Most know, I hope before they go to download, that the LTS editions are stable and others are development versions.
    Maybe most know, but...

I don't see anything at the Ubuntu download pages steering people towards the LTS release. At https://xubuntu.org/download, I see "Latest LTS release: 18.04, Bionic Beaver" and "Latest stable release: 19.04, Disco Dingo". Someone seeing the word "stable" there is gonna think that means exactly what it says. Without digging any further, looks like one release is as good as the other, except the LTS release is supported longer and the 19.04 release has newer stuff.

As for regular Ubuntu, a person should really dig further for more info before proceeding with either download, in my opinion. Really the only thing that might be steering some folks towards the LTS release is the fact that its download button is colorized and the other one isn't. Or so it seems to me.

I agree with the OP on this. Not sure how much of a problem it is, though.

Beans

If you go to ubuntu.com and go though the pages to get ubuntu you do come to this page which explains things better. https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Beans

I have mild red/green color-blindness. In fact, I debated for a bit about whether to mention the color of the box at all!

Quote Originally Posted by crip720 View Post
    If you go to ubuntu.com and go though the pages to get ubuntu you do come to this page which explains things better. https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop
    I did what most naive users would do. I went to ubuntu.com and clicked the "Download" entry in the top menu. That brings you to https://ubuntu.com/#download which provides no explanation of the differences between versions.

I would prefer that the two buttons each take you to an interim page for each version that describes the LTS and non-LTS versions in greater detail. Then that page could have another button to begin the actual download.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 19th, 2019 at 03:30 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think it is because Canonical wants as many people to use their newest release. They are proud of the work. Sometimes newer releases make things better, easier, even if there will be pain in 6 months as they need to upgrade to an even newer release to maintain patch capabilities.

Canonical doesn't want to call non-LTS releases 'developer releases', which is what they are to most people.

All that we can do here is get the message out - use the LTS unless you have a really really good reason not to.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I did what most naive users would do. I went to ubuntu.com and clicked the "Download" entry in the top menu. That brings you to https://ubuntu.com/#download which provides no explanation of the differences between versions.
    I just clicked on that link, and the LTS version is the first one listed, and is highlighted. Clicking on the title gives an interstitial page that describes the difference between the LTS version and the non-LTS version, again with the LTS version listed first.

The desktop site could be terrible - I haven't checked - but the mobile site seems to do everything right for balancing the ease of getting to the download link with having access to information. Having to click through page after page of stuff because they've arbitrarily hidden all the buttons would be entirely worse.

At no point are Canonical going to say, "whatever you do, don't download the latest version of Ubuntu."

Beans

If you just click on the 19.04 there is no interstitial page. The download begins, and this confirmation page appears:

I wish they diirected you to the interstitial page from either download button. Most new recruits are going to follow the route I took: go to ubuntu.com > click Download > click the 19.04 button because it seems more up-to-date.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; August 19th, 2019 at 04:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast