Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why doesn't the Ubuntu download page discourage people from using non-LTS versions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Why doesn't the Ubuntu download page discourage people from using non-LTS version

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I think it is because Canonical wants as many people to use their newest release. They are proud of the work. <snip>
    I agree with this reasoning. They want bug reports so things that might be on the next LTS can get ironed out.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Why doesn't the Ubuntu download page discourage people from using non-LTS version

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    At no point are Canonical going to say, "whatever you do, don't download the latest version of Ubuntu."
    Ha-ha! True.

"interstitial"

I never knew that word before today!

Well, I do think that they could point out, right up front, that the LTS releases might be less buggy or whatever. On the other hand, it isn't a major concern for me. I started going mainly with LTS releases right from the beginning, figuring that they'd be better for me than the "in-between" releases. I never really expect perfection from something that I can get for free, and especially from a distro that releases on a set schedule rather than "when it's ready." And I think even most newbies learn quickly that it's probably a good idea to do your homework, to read up on things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Both are green for me. I don't see any discouragement from downloading the non-LTS. I'd be inclined to download 19.04 over 18.04LTS because it's newer. Personally I'd recommend 18.04LTS over 19.04. (Disclaimer: I have 18.04.3LTS on five machines) From https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

ubuntu_download.jpg

Beans

There is no reason to discourage new users from using the latest release. They are not "developer" releases. A LTS-release does not go through any unique release procedure. They start as standard Ubuntu-releases and are just supported longer. There are arguments for using both types and new users should learn these. (I have experience of both LTS and non-LTS releases and can't say which I prefer.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The main reasons for preferring LTS over Standard releases with newcomers are:

• LTS is generally more stable,
    • There is a larger installed base of LTS and therefore more community help available,
    • LTS versions avoid the upgrade hamster wheel and consequently minimize borked upgrades,
    • Avoiding frequent upgrades also minimizes the stress of discontinuity and relearning.

So while it is true that standard releases are not developer releases, the reality is that they simply don't have long enough lifespans to evolve the stability of an LTS. There's nothing wrong with this. It doesn't make them "bad" releases. But they are not as suitable for newcomers as they are for seasoned users for all the reasons already stated.

So yes, after helping numerous newcomers navigate through the instabilities of standard releases, I do feel that newcomers in general should be discouraged from using standard releases (or encouraged to use LTS, which amounts to the same thing).

I believe that SeijiSensei's initial question was only asking why the above dynamic is not made more explicit in the Canonical download page.

To that question, my conjecture is that Ubuntu/Linux remains largely a geek's OS. As much as efforts have been made to mainstream Ubuntu, the subsurface mindset is still the geeky one. Within that mindset, stability is de-emphasized and inventiveness is highly-emphasized. One only has to look at the cultural difference between Launchpad and these forums to see this dynamic at work: the focus in Launchpad is highly technical and exclusively directed at squashing bugs; the focus in UF is more contextual and is mainly directed at helping users unravel the arcane and obscure knots in the OS.

Yet the devs monitor Launchpad religiously but almost never visit UF. This is not because they don't like us; it is because their mindset is so highly focused on technical stuff and not contextual stuff that what we do here doesn't have much hold on their imaginations or their attention. Devs become devs because they want to code stuff; not because they want to hand-hold users.

So I doubt that Ubuntu or any other Linux distro will ever cater to Jane and Joe Consumer to the same extent that proprietary commercial OSes do. Linux just doesn't value that perspective as much as it does the geek one. For my part, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I strongly agree with the OP on this. Waaaay too many questions and problems for newcomers: you see it everyday in the forums. People d-l the iterim releases, they often don't work well and people get discouraged and give up on 'buntu right away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12