Thread: Can Ubuntu be compromised by launching file (jpg for example)?

Beans

Can Ubuntu be compromised by launching file (jpg for example)?

If someone will send me a file (for example jpg) and I will launch this file on my Ubuntu desktop - could be this action a risk for my Ubuntu?

Can you share with me ways of how Linux (Ubuntu) can be compromised with me accidently involved?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Can Ubuntu be compromised by launching file (jpg for example)?

Quote Originally Posted by setonic View Post
    If someone will send me a file (for example jpg) and I will launch this file on my Ubuntu desktop - could be this action a risk for my Ubuntu?
    Possible, but highly unlikely.
    Can you share with me ways of how Linux (Ubuntu) can be compromised with me accidently involved?
    Keep in mind these are **ONLY**examples, no need for over thinking this.
    {Examples only}As a un-knowing user,Via Email.
    it is possible for a user to be affected by using Wine.
    Wine emulates almost every behavior of the Windows environment, the worm or virus can actually try to find ways on how it can affect you. The worst case scenario is that depending on the direct access wine has to your Ubuntu system, some or all parts of your home will be affected (I Did not fully test this though.)
    Wine emulates almost every behavior of the Windows environment, the worm can actually try to find ways on how it can affect you. The worst case scenario is that depending on the direct access wine has to your Ubuntu system, some or all parts of your home will be affected (Did not fully test this.)
    Our company policies:
    • Use Linux.
    • Don't use shares.
    • Use a password safe and do not save passwords outside the safe.
    • Use online mail.
    • Use online storage for documents.
    • Only use Windows inside virtualbox for things Linux can not do. We have some VPNs our clients use that are Windows only. You can prepare a vbox and copy it over when you have all the software in it you would need.

Windows systems that are used inside our company (personal notebooks for instance) are not allowed on the company network.

Sophos provides on access linux antivirus that is free for non-commerical purposes. While I haven't looked, I would expect it to have been updated for even ransomware. https://www.sophos.com/en-us/product...for-linux.aspx

In all reality though, as long as you keep current with updates, you should be safe. (12 year user here and no virus with Linux or BSD spins)
    Here is a good read, and I highly recommend this to newer users: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812
    Last edited by 1fallen; 2 Days Ago at 03:11 AM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

There are thousands of ways to trick you into compromising your files. Way too many to list.

One way ... Be very careful copy/pasting commands from any website. What you see isn't always what the copy/paste will get. I tricked one of my beginning Linux classes into doing a copy/paste with some extra embedded commands. Half of them didn't notice. The other half learned to never paste directly into a shell, always paste into an editor first.

Just because a file has .jpg as an extension, that doesn't mean it is a jpg file. It could easily be a program or a script.
    https://hackaday.com/2015/11/06/steg...wned-by-a-jpg/
    more explanation: https://thehackernews.com/2015/06/St...t-malware.html But it could be done to other types of files that are often assumed safe, like PDFs.
    Follow the Ubuntu Basic Security Guide to do what you can. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Why do you think someone would send you a file with a malicious payload?

If in doubt, delete anything that comes in whether by email or other means unless you are 100% certain the sender can be trusted.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

If you're using a major email provider, I'd say the chances of someone sending you a message with an infected file are close to zero. And if such files get through, they're almost certainly likely to be carrying a payload that is designed to attack Windows. There just aren't enough Linux users to attract the interest of the people who distribute malware this way.

If, on the off chance you're running your own mail server, I strongly recommend installing MailScanner and using it in conjunction with ClamAV and SpamAssassin. As it happens, my implementation of MailScanner intercepted this message today:

Warning: This message has had one or more attachments removed (DETAILS.rar, DETAILS.exe). Please read the "Attachment-Warning.txt" attachment(s) for more information.

Dear Sir,

Good day,
    Refer to the attached bank slip for payment for invoice INW-SG11 arranged today.

Please confirm safe receipt of our payment.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
    Gina I. Zuniega
    Accounting Manager
    (for and on behalf of owners only)

This is a message from the MailScanner E-Mail Virus Protection Service
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The original e-mail attachment "DETAILS.rar"
    is on the list of unacceptable attachments for this site and has been
    replaced by this warning message.

At Thu Aug 15 22:55:53 2019 the virus scanner said:
    MailScanner: Executable DOS/Windows programs are dangerous in email (DETAILS.exe)
    No programs allowed (DETAILS.exe)
    The message contained a .rar that included a compressed .exe. Running an .exe on a vanilla Ubuntu machine would have no effect. Even if you have Wine installed, at worst it would only infect Wine which you can blow away at any time.

More importantly, would you believe a message like this in the first place? Most of the time common sense is the first line of defense.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2 Days Ago at 01:34 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users