Thread: Confusing page in "Install Ubuntu Desktop" Tutorial

Beans

Unhappy Confusing page in "Install Ubuntu Desktop" Tutorial

Hello,
    I plan to install Ubuntu Desktop 18.04.3 LTS as a the second OS in a dual boot configuration.
    I will use an ISO loaded onto a USB drive which I made using another great ubuntu tutorial.
    However, the installation guide (https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutoria...untu-desktop#5)
    has a very confusing section (Section #6) shown in the link above.

The directions say:
    6. Allocate drive space

Use the checkboxes to choose whether you'd like to install Ubuntu alongside another operating system, delete your existing operating system and replace it with Ubuntu, or — if you're an advanced user — choose the 'Something else'
    -----
    The choices do not seem to mention anything related to a dual boot (i.e. alongside another operation system).
    The choices are:
    • Erase disk....
    • Encrypt the installation...
    • Use LVM with the new ubuntu installation...
    • Something else

Can anyone please tell me which one to use to install ubuntu as a dual boot with Windows 10?
    It might be helpful to edit the tutorial to help others who are trying to follow it....

Thank you!
    Last edited by andromache2; 2 Days Ago at 10:57 PM.

Beans

Re: Confusing page in "Install Ubuntu Desktop" Tutorial

Unfortunately they decided to show the picture of what you would see if no operating system was on your computer. If there is a operating system you should see a picture that shows the options you mention under, 6. Allocate drive space. They do have a note in a box at the bottom about this. If you do have a operating system and see the picture you mention, then there is a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thread moved to New to Ubuntu a more appropriate sub-forum., the tag line for the tutorial sub-forum is:
    the place to post your Ubuntu related Tutorials and Howtos. New threads requesting technical support should be posted in an appropriate support sub-forum.

Beans

Thank you so much cryp720! I will report back tomorrow with a screen shot (if I can post an image) to show the full set of options in case someone else has this question!
    Last edited by andromache2; 2 Days Ago at 01:33 AM.

Beans

Thank you Wildmanne39 for moving my post to a more appropriate forum. I took the forum name too literally. And because of your help, I have the answer I needed to complete the install tomorrow!

Beans

The ubuntu install did NOT detect that Windows 10 was installed. I had formatted a 2TB drive into a 1TB NTFS partition and free space. When I selected either, I got a error message saying that no file system was found. I selected the free space partition and then said quit and voila, it seems that ubuntu is running out of RAM! This is not what I want to do. More help for this most basic of basic procedures is needed. Help is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Dual booting is hardly a basic procedure. If you are really new, perhaps running Ubuntu inside a virtual machine for a few months would make more sense? It is much safer to your Windows install and you won't loose the ability to boot Linux when MSFT decides to do something with their boot code. That happens about once a year, I hear.

I stopped dual booting about 10 yrs ago. Too risky.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Dual booting is not as easy as it used to be when I first installed Ubuntu in 2006. This is mostly because of some changes introduced in Windows 8. The problem is basically FastStartup. To hide the fact that Windows boots so slowly, it doesn't shutdown completely. Without a clean shutdown, Ubuntu cannot detect Windows and cannot properly configure the bootloader, which is the piece of software that makes dual booting possible. Dual booting is possible, but it's harder than before and a bit fragile.

Furthermore, there's the problem of UEFI and hardware manufacturers not sticking to its standards.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....2#post13488472