Thread: SSHFS Permissions Issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question SSHFS Permissions Issue

Hi,

I am mounting my Ubuntu server via sshfs (IE: user@104.xxx.xxx.xxx) and running a backup program on that mounted folder. The problem I am running into is that the server user I am logging in with does not have access to some of the folders on the server. I would normally just use the sudo command to access these folders. Is there some way I can do this via sshfs or otherwise make the folders available? I assume I don't just want to give read permissions for everything to that user...?

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: SSHFS Permissions Issue

sshfs provides the permissions of the userid used in the connection. That's the rules. If the userid you connect as doesn't have the required permissions, sorry. Pick a better userid.

Perhaps using a better backup tool that works over ssh, not sshfs? Any of them based on librsync work that way. I'd use rsync for a single time, single directory structure mirror requirement. For backups, I use rdiff-backup, which uses a client/server model over ssh.

In general, for system-level backups, a root or root-equiv account must be used. If you are just backing up a single HOME directory, then the userid for the HOME you want should be fine.