Thread: Xubuntu 18.04 screen tearing....

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question Xubuntu 18.04 screen tearing....

HI Guys.. I'm running xubuntu 18.04 with Nvidia GM108M [GeForce 940MX] & nvidia-driver-430 (propritary, tested) installed. I have followed "this post" to try and fix screen tearing, but it still persists. In the post it says that the final command should output a "Y" but I always seem to get a "N". Could someone please help....
    Last edited by jonny6; 1 Week Ago at 04:26 PM.
    [ R E V I Z I I S ]

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: Xubuntu 18.04 screen tearing....

Quote Originally Posted by jonny6 View Post
    HI Guys.. I'm running xubuntu 18.04 with Nvidia GM108M [GeForce 940MX] & nvidia-driver-430 (propritary, tested) installed. I have followed "this post" to try and fix screen tearing, but it still persists. In the post it says that the final command should output a "Y" but I always seem to get a "N". Could someone please help....
    The link you have pasted above is dead.
    Dell Latitude E7440 (since Dec 2017). CPU: Intel Core i7-4600U, 2 cores, 4 threads; HDD: PM851 256 GB SSD; RAM: 8 GB DDR3L; Graphics: Intel HD 4400
    Dual-boot /dev/sda5: Lubuntu 19.04, /dev/sda6: Arch Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pencuse View Post
    The link you have pasted above is dead.
    Sorry.. Fixed now....
    [ R E V I Z I I S ]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hi.

I won't be able to help you with your screen tearing as I have no experience of that family of nvidia graphics cards, but a question for you and a comment about that linked "tutorial".

Are you sure you have Optimus? You make no mention of an Intel GPU. The tutorial is for Optimus.

Somewhat more importantly, the author of that tutorial has made an absolutely heinous and inexcusable technical error in one of the commands. This:

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia-drm-nomodeset.conf
    That is not far short of an abomination. One should never use bare sudo for opening graphical applications. Although there is a caveat on the Ubuntu RootSudo community wiki page about it containing out of date information, the section on Graphical sudo should be heeded. This:

You should never use normal sudo to start graphical applications as root. Using sudo with graphical apps has the potential to corrupt your environment by allowing root to take ownership of and/or change permissions on critical files that you must own. The forums frequently see panicked requests for help from users who can no longer log in after running graphical applications under sudo.
    Personally, I would be chary of following a tutorial with such an egregious error.

Hopefully, someone here will be able to help you with the screen tearing. Good luck!
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks for replying. Not sure if the card I have is a optimus or not, but most of the tutorials or post that I came across had the same commands etc. I actually don't have gedit installed so I switched that part out for nano. I had the same problem in 16.04 which someone on these forums helped me with. Tried that first, but it never worked....
    [ R E V I Z I I S ]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

my problem appears to have solved itself. I now get a "Y" & screen tearing seems to be gone....
    [ R E V I Z I I S ]