Thread: Ubuntu Upgrade 14.04.6 LTS to 16.04.6 LTS Gone Bad

Beans

Ubuntu Upgrade 14.04.6 LTS to 16.04.6 LTS Gone Bad

Hi,

I attempted to upgrade from Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS to 16.04.6 LTS, I received the following error during installation:

The required dependency 'apt (>= 1.0.10.2ubuntu2)' is not installed during upgrade

Now when I log on to my server via a terminal it says that I'm on 16.04.6 LTS, but not everything is working.

I was able to get Apache running after it refused to start, but my Perl-based website hasn't returned. I needed to install some Perl modules used by the website software (Unicode::String) and got:

Code:
    x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fstack-protector-strong’
    make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Unicode/String/String.so] Error 1
      GAAS/GAAS/Unicode-String-2.10.tar.gz
      /usr/bin/make -- NOT OK
    Failed during this command:
     GAAS/GAAS/Unicode-String-2.10.tar.gz         : make NO
    This was related to the version of GCC I had installed. I have version 4.8.4.

For ‘-fstack-protector-strong’ to work I need GCC 4.9. When trying to upgrade it (which didn't work) I eventually had to use: sudo apt-get update

Which threw up a load of errors:

Code:
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'compiz-core'
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'compiz-gnome'
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'libxapian-dev'
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package python-cffi-backend-api-max
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package python-cffi-backend-api-min
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package python3-cffi-backend-api-max
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package python3-cffi-backend-api-min
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'kwin'
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'kwin-dev'
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'kwin-wayland'
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'kwin-x11'
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'libkf5sysguard-dev'
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package php-psr-http-message-implementation
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package php-psr-log-implementation
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package php-seclib
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package php-sabre-http
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package php-math-biginteger
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package pypy-cffi
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package pypy-cffi-backend-api-max
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package pypy-cffi-backend-api-min
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'libxapian-dev'
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package python-cffi-backend-api-max
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package python-cffi-backend-api-min
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package python3-cffi-backend-api-max
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package python3-cffi-backend-api-min
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'kwin-dev'
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'kwin-wayland'
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'kwin-x11'
    W: Unknown Multi-Arch type 'no' for package 'libkf5sysguard-dev'
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package pypy-cffi-backend-api-max
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package pypy-cffi-backend-api-min
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package xserver-xorg
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package php-math-biginteger
    W: Ignoring Provides line with DepCompareOp for package xserver-xorg
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    Doing other things brings up other errors and I'm having a really bad time with it at the moment. Can anybody help? I'm very capable/willing to follow instruction.

Thanks,
    James
    Last edited by howefield; August 14th, 2019 at 07:26 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Upgrade 14.04.6 LTS to 16.04.6 LTS Gone Bad

you might want to upgrade to the last LTS instead

Have you made some system cleaning recently to purge old versions and settings left behind ?
    (clean/autoclean/autoremove/gtkorphan/bleachbit)
    Last edited by dino99; August 14th, 2019 at 04:08 PM.

Beans

I assume you upgraded using do-releae-upgrade. If not how did you do it?

It looks like the upgrade didn't complete properly and you still have a lor of 14.04 LTS packages.

What does
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    show?

Also where are you installing these packages from? It looks like the standard version of gcc for 16.04 LTS is gcc version 5.4.0 (Ubuntu 5.4.0-6ubuntu1~16.04.11).

If your original installation contained non-standard versions of packages any upgrade is likely to be problematic.

This error
    Code:
    The required dependency 'apt (>= 1.0.10.2ubuntu2)' is not installed during upgrade
    indicates that the version of apt isn't correct.
    The version for 16.04 is
    Code:
     apt (1.2.32)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Sometimes a couple of
    Code:
    sudo apt install -f
    and
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    can fix a release upgrade gone wrong. Usually it's faster to do a fresh install (jump directly to 18.04 LTS) and restore your documents from your backups.

Beans

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestions and advice. Fortunately I remembered I had a suitable back-up from a few days ago that I was able to revert to. I've taken that route.

I really do appreciate the help offered. I think I'm going to go away and read exactly how to tackle upgrades in future and so be slightly less of an idiot.

As for this server; I inherited responsibility for it and don't fully know how it's set up and what alterations have been made. I don't know if the mismatch between apt, gcc and the OS were due to my partial upgrade or if that was existing pre-failed-upgrade. That's going to be part of the autopsy I carry out this afternoon.

Thanks,
    James

Beans

I'd strongly recommend you upgrade as soon as you can to 18.04 LTS since 14.04 LTS ended standard support 25 April 2019, although repositories are available somewhere and extended security maintenance is available if you have UBUNTU support.

16.04 LTS end of standard support will come fairly soon. Waiting will only make it harder.

If the Hardware is old you may run into some issues since 32 bit support is being depreciated.