Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu 18.04 no longer booting

&wP*!) is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 no longer booting

Quote Originally Posted by rudy-258 View Post
    Is sda4 part of my Ubuntu installation? Also, why isn't 7 GB there not enough? It does have 6.53 GB free.
    Can you type
    Code:
    lsblk -o NAME,TYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT
    .. and copy-paste what the command returns?

Beans

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lsblk -o NAME,TYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT
    NAME   TYPE   SIZE MOUNTPOINT
    loop0  loop   1.7G /rofs
    loop1  loop  86.6M /snap/core/4486
    loop2  loop   140M /snap/gnome-3-26-1604/59
    loop3  loop   1.6M /snap/gnome-calculator/154
    loop4  loop  12.2M /snap/gnome-characters/69
    loop5  loop    21M /snap/gnome-logs/25
    loop6  loop   3.3M /snap/gnome-system-monitor/36
    sda    disk 465.8G 
    ├─sda1 part   341G 
    ├─sda3 part   954M [SWAP]
    ├─sda4 part   6.8G 
    └─sda5 part 117.1G 
    sdb    disk  28.7G 
    └─sdb1 part  28.7G /cdrom
    And for boot-repair:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/sk3k3ZjXmv/

&wP*!) is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

This might not be related to your filesystem/partitioning.

Do you have an Intel graphics driver? You can check it with
    Code:
    lshw -c video
    If it says Intel somewhere, then you can try this:
    1. add i915.enable_psr=0 inside the string (i.e. inside the " " ) in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT of /etc/default/grub.
    2. generate GRUB config file with grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg (if your GRUB file is there).
    3. reboot.

Let us know if this solves your problem. If not, take back all the changes above (remove the string from /etc/default/grub, generate grub file and reboot).
    This workaround was fixed in 5.2.8 kernel, which none of the Ubuntu distros have yet. It will come in 19.10 (October 2019)

Beans

Thanks for your reply.

As far as I can see I don't have any Inter drivers running. I have both an AMD CPU and GPU.

Since I ran the command in the root shell of the recovery mode, I can't copy and paste the output, but here are some relevant parts of what it says:

Code:
    *-display UNCLAIMED
    description: VGA compatible controller
    product: Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/570x/580/580x]
    Also, I just tried booting up again and this time I got further than the Ubuntu logo, and I got an error message, which could be releavnt (It was on the screen with the green OK marks).

This is what the message said:

Code:
    [ *** ] (2 of 2) A start job is running for Hold until boot process finishes up (54s / no limit)
    This was just there forever and nothing happened.

I googled the error message and it does seem to be related to having no more free disc space. There were many different suggested fixes, but since I am a beginner user of Linux, I didn't want to try them before posting here, since I don't want to break something.

Here is an image of the error message and some of the preceeding commands, if that's helpful:
    20190815_141337.jpg

Let me know if there is anything else I can provide in the meantime that might help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the bootinfo. All I see in there are a few non-answers which make me think the disk is either failing or corrupted.
    Boot into a live boot environment again, install smartmontools then run the tests followed by the reporting.
    Code:
    sudo smartctl -t short /dev/sda
    # wait 5-10 minutes (the command above should provide an estimated time
    sudo smartctl -A /dev/sda | tee /tmp/sda.smart
    Check out the raw values. 1, 5, 7, 178, 179, 181, 182, 187, 195-199 are the most important. Not all storage provides all those values.

If those all look fine, i.e. zero, then I'd just go into recovery mode using the live-boot and reinstall grub to the boot sector of sda. I don't remember if recovery mode sets up the chroot for you or not. Basically, you're booted off the ISO, but all programs and pseudo- file systems are from the HDD. Before you do this, be certain to have anything you can't lose backed up, that includes the Windows side. It is very possible that Windows will not boot after this process, so have the backup and recovery disk ready.

Beans

First of all : the UUID's of the partitions are overwritten in a wrong way by Gparted .
    So boot in Windows first and use the tools of Windows for setteling on the hard drives all, of them. How ? That is a Windows problem not Ubuntu's.

Second (flickering splash on boot)

open a terminal and give:
    Code:
     sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    and hit enter + give your password

go with the arrow keys to the line that says "quiet splash"
    and edit it to: "quiet splash nomodeset"
    save and close nano
    type in the terminal
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    reboot to see that improves anything (on the flickering aspects)

Try if in case it keeps doing bad stuff, in the same way and order, to leave quiet splash away from the line (delete it) ; update grub and reboot again: now you'll see a bunch of text scrolling by , but see specially if you come to a good working desktop/

This is what you'll need to test first before we search an alternative method or way . succes !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the boot image. HIGHLY useful. Seems like you have the dreaded "boot loop" - I've never seen this. Did a google:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1037...for-uid-120-on
    Seems related to wayland display manager. I don't use wayland. Anyway, try the disable wayland in the link above and report back.

If you try something and it doesn't work, we need to know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12