Thread: Kubuntu Updates Error

Beans

Kubuntu Updates Error

I recently switched to Kubuntu from GNOME-based Ubuntu and until now everything has worked fine. But now when I go to update my software through Discover, the update progress bars freeze about halfway through, then an error pops up. After the error comes up, it will usually clear all the updates from the list as if the update completed successfully, which I'm not sure if it's actually updatijng my system. See the attached image for a screenshot of the error message. So far I've tried running sudo apt-get update and that didn't work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: Kubuntu Updates Error

I don't know Discover and I don't use Kubuntu. But I know the terminal. Try this:
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    Error messages there will tell us what's going on.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Usually I have no issues with updating via Discover or from the command prompt as Impavidus recommends. (Usually I choose the latter route.)

I checked, and I do have /lib/modules/5.0.0-23-generic/kernel/drivers/media/common/cx2341x.ko. However it is the driver for an obscure piece of video decoding hardware that I doubt you have on your system. I ran "lsmod" and that module is not loaded in my system. The page at linuxtv.org dates back to 2012.

I suggest you try deleting the copy you have as root with sudo:

Code:
    sudo rm -f /lib/modules/5.0.0-23-generic/kernel/drivers/media/common/cx2341x.ko
    then try running Discover or update/upgrade again. Maybe it will download the new copy and install it correctly.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I ran sudo apt upgrade and it told me to run "apt --fix-broken install"
    I ran that and it was unable to write to /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-modules-5.0.0-25-generic.list-new' because the operation wasn't permitted. Then it said "segmentation fault" and it stopped.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

The complete output might help. There maybe something important in it that you skipped in your summary.

Also, what do you get from
    Code:
    ls -ld /var/lib/dpkg/info
    ls -ld /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-modules-5.0.0-25*
    Segfaults aren't supposed to happen. This means that something really unexpected occured.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Quote Originally Posted by jbh54enwiler View Post
    I ran sudo apt upgrade and it told me to run "apt --fix-broken install"
    I ran that and it was unable to write to /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-modules-5.0.0-25-generic.list-new' because the operation wasn't permitted. Then it said "segmentation fault" and it stopped.
    You ran that apt command with sudo, right?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users