Thread: New - downloded ubuntu 18 04 LTS from Microsoft store - not behaving I think?

Beans

New - downloded ubuntu 18 04 LTS from Microsoft store - not behaving I think?

Ubuntu comes up and command line does not present a $ I have a # and it does not react to many commands I have looked up. Also it reads root@JBDell-laptop:~#

This appears to be wrong, I did set it up with a user name which I thought should be in the command line address. I think I messed up the install. before I delete the program from my Windows 10 machine and reinstall I thought I would check here. I am sure when and if I get up and running I will be a regular. I have been wanting and trying for some time to get this set up but failures to load a boot copy caused me to abandon this until I read the Win10 opened up to load and accept ubuntu.

Beans

Re: New - downloded ubuntu 18 04 LTS from Microsoft store - not behaving I think?

Hello jb, welcome to the forums

I do not have any experience with the windows integration package and I would say few do in this forum. The usual method is to dual boot or run ubuntu in a virtual machine using Windows as a host.

I prefer the second method.
    https://www.virtualbox.org/

Either way will give you the full desktop environment, not limited by MS software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: New - downloded ubuntu 18 04 LTS from Microsoft store - not behaving I think?

Well, if anybody could screw up a distro, it would be Microsoft. Download ONLY from a Linux distro's webpage and load it into a VM. Maybe you'll love it, and maybe not, but you can see what's available. I, personally, recommend Ubuntu MATE, the hands-down best Debian-based OS. I dual-boot with both Ubuntu MATE and Manjaro MATE. MATE is a fork of GNOME 2.3, which was the desktop with which I fell in love, back with 8.04. MATE is that desktop, hugely improved, and it is lightweight; ~500MB at boot, idle.

I must admit that Manjaro is as user-friendly as Ubuntu, faster, and has far, far more software available, and a huge collection of source codes, which the OS compiles itself with no other input from the user.

I like that, but I also boot my beloved Ubuntu MATE.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

To be fair I would say the Ubuntu-gnome desktop is very user friendly. I do not run Ubuntu, but would recommend it to newcomers.

https://itsfoss.com/ubuntu-18-04-release-features/

Beans

Ok all, I am calling "Uncle" Let me tell you what I want to do with ubuntu or a Linux system. I have a Network Drive (WD My cloud) In Windows 7 I used it as a regular drive and made my own directories. Windows 10 does not recognize it with a drive letter but sees it as a network device that must be used with the manufacturers software and directory structure which does not see my existing directories and let me access those files. I was hoping a Linux system would let me manage the hardware directly and move, erase, copy files etc directly. You all have recommended different versions and perhaps knowing what I am looking to do you can narrow down my choices.

Beans

as a network device that must be used with the manufacturers software and directory structure
    I have not used such a configuration and unable to assist with that. If its possible I don't think what you choose for a desktop environment will make any difference, its all Linux under the hood.

Beans

Not understanding. Are you saying it does not matter which version of ubuntu or linux I choose because hardware /file management will all be the same as all versions are Unix / Linux? Then I should be able to use the version I downloaded if the bases is the same but I can't.

Beans

I reference to Linux distributions and their flavors. I cannot speak for MS Linux, as I said this is something I have never used.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

See:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...l/user-support
    Looks like you have it set to default for root.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

I'm not familiar with the hardware you are using but questions I would have are:

What filesystem is the drive formatted to?
    Is the drive physically attached to the windows 7 computer?
    Is windows 10 on the same computer?

What you have downloaded is a version of Ubuntu modified by microsoft and I doubt many users here are familiar with it. Have you tried googling or going to the microsoft support site or a windows forum?

The link below to the WD support site has an FAQ with some questions ( and hopefully answers) that may be related so take a look at that if you haven't already and good luck.

https://support-en.wd.com/