Thread: New Hard Drive Problems

Beans

New Hard Drive Problems

To start out with I'm fairly familiar with Ubuntu from a GFI user standpoint and can do some very basic commands in Terminal so for all intent an purposes I'm a Terminal noob. I also searched the forums for my problem and either didn't understand what I was looking at or my specific problem wasn't addressed I really don't know.

Okay, tried to install a secondary hard drive for media storage, formatted in ext4. Then I spent hours trying to figure out how to mount it but nothing would work until I did something, I know not what, that mounted the volume..........
    Now it will not let me change permissions so I can write to it. When I open Nautilus it tells me I have permission, when I open Nautilus as a super user it tells me the permissions are unknown.
    Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and please remember, you're talking to a noob not a techie.
    Thanks

Beans

Re: New Hard Drive Problems

Interesting, now when I check in Nautilus as a super user it's not there.

Okay, clicked on "mount" and it showed up when I logged into Nautilus as a SU.
    Last edited by ringel052; 4 Days Ago at 09:50 PM.

Beans

Did you create a partition on the drive before formatting it?

Partitions on external drives on most Linux systems are available to access/mount under the /media or /media/username directory, usually by UUID. If the referenced drive is the 2nd drive, it will likely be sdb. You can get the UUID of partitions on that drive with the command: sudo blkid Run that and post the output here.

You can get the permissions by running: ls -l /media/username (substitute your actual users name here)

If the partition you created on the 2nd drive is the first partition on that drive, the standard method to mount it is to first create a mount point (directory), then use the mount command to mount it as in the examples below.

sudo mkdir /media/sdb1
    sudo mount -t ext4 /dev/sdb1 /media/sdb1
    I expect you will not need to do this unless you want to as the partition is probably available under the /media/username directory mount point.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Did you create a partition on the drive before formatting it?

Partitions on external drives on most Linux systems are available to access/mount under the /media or /media/username directory, usually by UUID. If the referenced drive is the 2nd drive, it will likely be sdb. You can get the UUID of partitions on that drive with the command: sudo blkid Run that and post the output here.

You can get the permissions by running: ls -l /media/username (substitute your actual users name here)

If the partition you created on the 2nd drive is the first partition on that drive, the standard method to mount it is to first create a mount point (directory), then use the mount command to mount it as in the examples below.

I expect you will not need to do this unless you want to as the partition is probably available under the /media/username directory mount point.
    It's a secondary internal drive. From what I read it didn't need to be partitioned just formatted so no, I don't think I did, did the formatting in Gparted.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Au...k=w727-h501-no
    Last edited by DuckHook; 4 Days Ago at 01:08 AM. Reason: Convert large image to link.

Beans

Last edited by DuckHook; 4 Days Ago at 01:08 AM. Reason: Convert large image to link.

Beans

Here's the error I get when trying to move anything over to the new drive.

BTW these are my DVDs I'm converting to MP4, I used Handbrake.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fO...U=w890-h605-no

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Please do not post large images to the forums because some people have limited bandwidth or are viewing on small screens.

It is not necessary to post screenshots of terminal output in any case. Terminal output can be copied and pasted into the forum posting box. Please post such output between [CODE] and [/CODE] tags for clarity. Or highlight the output and use the button in the *Adv Reply* toolbar.

If an image must be included, please do so as an attachment using the paperclip icon in the advanced posting menu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Please do not post large images to the forums because some people have limited bandwidth or are viewing on small screens.

It is not necessary to post screenshots of terminal output in any case. Terminal output can be copied and pasted into the forum posting box. Please post such output between [CODE] and [/CODE] tags for clarity. Or highlight the output and use the button in the *Adv Reply* toolbar.

If an image must be included, please do so as an attachment using the paperclip icon in the advanced posting menu.
    Sorry, will do that from now on once I figure out how to do that ( [noparse][CODE] and [/CODE] ).