Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup Issues and Restoration Attempts

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Backup Issues and Restoration Attempts

I am looking for a piece of software that will restore my desktop settings and specifications.

I install Kubuntu, and then go through all of the setup and customizations. Then when I have the desktop and OS configured the way I want, I would like to make a backup of this that I can restore in case I mess something up.

I have tried Clonezilla, and when I restore my image, it messes up Grub, and it won't boot into Kubuntu. In which case I have to do a complete re-installation of the OS and then reconfigure my settings to get it back to where I was.

Any ideas?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: Backup Issues and Restoration Attempts

Timeshift.
    It has rescued me so many times. Using rsync, it'll take a snapshot of your system that includes everything. Even if you crash your HDD/SSD, you can boot from a live DVD, reinstall Timeshift, and re-create your system.
    Last edited by ml9104; 5 Days Ago at 10:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Any ideas? Sure.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....7#post13867057 is what I think from a question you asked previously
    and
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....1#post13767841 about the tool I actually use.

Instead of just worrying about personal settings, how about making daily, versioned, backups to protect the entire system from a disk failure? It isn't much harder and usually doesn't require all that much storage.

aljames2 is working to make a really good daily, versioned, consistent, backup here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2422831 Both Al and I use LVM, but for your needs, that part can probably be ignored. I'm happy to help nail down the script for your needs following this example.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Any ideas? Sure.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....7#post13867057 is what I think from a question you asked previously
    Yep, that was me... I did take your advice and tried Clonezilla, but that causes problems with GRUB when I try to restore and image.
    So, I did already start that other thread, but I thought my question had changed enough to start another. If they are the same, go ahead and nuke the previous thread please.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....1#post13767841 about the tool I actually use.

Instead of just worrying about personal settings, how about making daily, versioned, backups to protect the entire system from a disk failure? It isn't much harder and usually doesn't require all that much storage.
    I like that idea. I am going to give TimeShift a try, and see if it works the way I need it to. I am assuming if your system crashes, you install Kubuntu, then just run TimeShift and it will load up a previious saved version with all of your settings and software?

aljames2 is working to make a really good daily, versioned, consistent, backup here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2422831 Both Al and I use LVM, but for your needs, that part can probably be ignored. I'm happy to help nail down the script for your needs following this example.
    I tend to shy away from bash scripts, but I will look into it.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

"I am assuming if your system crashes, you install Kubuntu, then just run TimeShift and it will load up a previious saved version with all of your settings and software?"

You don't even need to install *Ubuntu. Run a live DVD, install Timeshift and do the restore. This will bring your system back to life as it was before.

EDIT: Important: your backup media must be formatted as ext4, otherwise Timeshift won't work.
    Last edited by ml9104; 5 Days Ago at 11:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Don't fear bash. The scripts are just the commands you would type into a terminal copied into a file.

I've been saved by backups about 1-2 times a year for the last 15+ yrs. Perhaps 5 times due to disk failures, about 5 times as I moved from 1 system to another or a release upgrade failure, and about 10 times due to my stupidity of deleting files that I still needed.
    Testing the restore is the only way to know if your backups do what you need. Be certain that you test on completely different hardware. That's the cracked motherboard test. If you can't restore to a new system, I think the backups aren't good enough. That's another reason why image-based backups or backups that don't restore to a freshly installed OS don't interest me.

I've had a laptop stolen in an airport. Visited the local "big box" store, bought a replacement, then did a fresh Ubuntu install and restore over the network.

Consider all the possible failures from which you might need to restore.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    "EDIT: Important: your backup media must be formatted as ext4, otherwise Timeshift won't work.
    So, partition off a chunk of my external HD, and format it EXT4?
    Last edited by Shibblet; 4 Days Ago at 07:57 PM.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

All your Kubuntu settings are stored in the directory $HOME/.kde/.

You can create an inventory of installed software using the command "dkpg --get-selections". If you feed that output to a file

Code:
    cd $HOME
    dpkg --get-selections > myselections
    then you can restore the system using "sudo dpkg --set-selections < myselections".
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 4 Days Ago at 07:53 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Another way to get the list of installed packages, which has a little more control is apt-mark. Both methods work, I've used both, but switched to apt-mark since 16.04.
    Code:
    ######[ to save the list of pkgs to files ]#######
     apt-mark showauto | tee $local_backup/apt-mark.auto
     apt-mark showmanual | tee $local_backup/apt-mark.manual

######[ to restore pkgs ]#######
    ### sudo apt-mark auto $(cat apt-mark.auto)
    ### sudo apt-mark manual $(cat apt-mark.manual)
    ### sudo apt-get -u dselect-upgrade
    I only restore the manually installed packages, since those automatically installed will be there or pulled in due to dependencies. I think this will keep a cleaner, new install, since dependencies might change from release to release.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

TimeShift looks like it makes a complete image of the drive. This would be ideal for time saving, and distro-hopping. Backup your main install, load whatever distro you like... if you prefer your main, reload it from a live USB. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast