Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backup Issues and Restoration Attempts

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: Backup Issues and Restoration Attempts

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    TimeShift looks like it makes a complete image of the drive. This would be ideal for time saving, and distro-hopping. Backup your main install, load whatever distro you like... if you prefer your main, reload it from a live USB. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.
    You need to be precise about your requirements. Timeshift is for backups on a single PC. It is not suitable for cross-platform use. And it does not not make a complete image of the drive, for that you'd need DD. But it does make a complete image of the file system.

Timeshift is good if:
    you're only working with one PC
    you have a stable installation/configuration that you want to keep
    you do incremental updates that you want to roll back
    you want to feel secure when experimenting on that one PC
    you experience a HDD crash

In that case, Timeshift will save you every time, provided you have a live DVD/USB at hand. Then, a rollback can always be done.

If the scenario is, that you have multiple hardware that needs to be be backed up. or you need to transfer your image to new hardware, then Timeshift is the wrong solution.
    Last edited by ml9104; 5 Days Ago at 10:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    You need to be precise about your requirements. Timeshift is for backups on a single PC. It is not suitable for cross-platform use. And it does not not make a complete image of the drive, for that you'd need DD. But it does make a complete image of the file system.
    Sounds Perfect.

Timeshift is good if:
    Check! ---- you're only working with one PC
    Check! ---- you have a stable installation/configuration that you want to keep
    Check! ---- you do incremental updates that you want to roll back
    Check! ---- you want to feel secure when experimenting on that one PC
    Hope not... ---- you experience a HDD crash
    In that case, Timeshift will save you every time, provided you have a live DVD/USB at hand. Then, a rollback can always be done.
    Can I make a LiveUSB with Ubuntu, and restore a Kubuntu (Xubuntu, Ubuntu-Budgie, Ubuntu-MATE) image?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I totally love SystemBack even better than Timeshift, because it's super-simple. You can use it to make incremental backups and stuff, but it also makes a bootable copy of your installed OS and can also include everything in your /home partition too! Learn about SystemBack here.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

TBH, I did try SystemBack, but it failed me. I used it for a bootable backup on USB and for test purposes did a sudo rm -r / to provoke a crash (which worked perfectly)

However, the bootable USB did not work and I lost confidence in SystemBack.

That's why I switched to a live DVD (which always works) and Timeshift for the backup. It has not failed me yet, and I've had several (user-caused) issues that have necessitated a system restore.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Good to know! It works on fine on my computers but as they say, "Your mileage may vary."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12