Thread: xfce4-terminal randomly placing symbols.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question xfce4-terminal randomly placing symbols.

HI

xfce4-terminal ver 0.8.7.4 has started to randomly place "~" symbols whenever I have it open. This never happened before & only started happening as of today. I'm currently using Ubuntu Mono Regular size 10 as my font & have had the same setting for a good while now. Just randomly started happening today....
    [ d:Tour // Reviziis ]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: xfce4-terminal randomly placing symbols.

Can you please show us a full copy of some text where this ~ symbol shows so that we can see the context of it.

The tilde symbol ~ is used in some circumstances as a replacement for your home folder, ie /home/username in the full pathway of a file.

Please use Code-Tags for the copy of terminal output I asked for so as to show that text in a more readable format, the same as it is in the terminal, not as plain text. See my signature below for a How-to

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Can you please show us a full copy of some text where this ~ symbol shows so that we can see the context of it.

The tilde symbol ~ is used in some circumstances as a replacement for your home folder, ie /home/username in the full pathway of a file.

Please use Code-Tags for the copy of terminal output I asked for so as to show that text in a more readable format, the same as it is in the terminal, not as plain text. See my signature below for a How-to
    Thank you for replying. I understand what the symbol means and is used for, but it happens completely randomly like it can be in the middle of typing my sudo password or just typing a command. Below I've pasted in three times whenever it happened today.

LAUNCHING A YOUTUBE VIDEO WITH MPV....
    Code:
     ~mpv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwxPqMgqBe8
    LAUNCHING A COMMAND WITH SUDO. IT ALSO APPEARED IN MY PASSWORD WHICH I THEN HAD TO RETYPE....
    Code:
     sudo a~pt-get update &&~ sudo apt-get upgrade
    CHANGING DIRECTORY....
    Code:
     cd /home/furycd001/Downl~oads/Holdover/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

After doing a fresh install this problem seems to have solved itself....