Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 18.04 (and also Kubuntu 19.04) won't boot/install from USB

Beans

Ubuntu 18.04 (and also Kubuntu 19.04) won't boot/install from USB

I have downloaded Ubuntu, and installed it onto a USB drive using a suggested piece of software (Universal USB Installer). When I boot up my PC I get my Motherboard's splash screen, then an Ubuntu screen with some options such as "Run Ubuntu without installing" and "Install Ubuntu". Whenever I choose either of these options (or choose none and wait for it to boot automatically) I get a grey screen with a blinking cursor, then it goes blank. It is almost as if there is no output from the video card, as I get "No Signal" on my monitor.

When I remove the USB leave the computer to boot up Windows from the HDD, it works fine. If there's any information I can add that would help, please let me know. I have tried this with Kubuntu 19.04 first, then Ubuntu 18.04.3.

If this has been covered elsewhere then please just send me a link, but there's plenty of threads I looked at and couldn't understand at all. >_<

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 (and also Kubuntu 19.04) won't boot/install from USB

First of all, let me suggest that you stay with the 18.04 release since that is a long term service release and you will not have to update it every 6 months.

Are you trying to dual boot this with Windows? Is the Win10? If so, did you turn off fast boot in the BIOS?

Beans

I'm not entirely familiar with this kind of thing, but I have Windows on my HDD, and I'm attempting to boot from the USB drive instead, so I'm not booting Windows up at all. I am currently using Windows 7, though.

Also I will be sticking to 18. I went for Kubuntu 19 on a recommendation, and when I had this problem I decided to try Ubuntu 18 until I was at least familiar with it. (By which time I will not want to switch over, I imagine.)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

You're too impatient. The grey/black screen phase during install may take up to half an hour depending on your hardware. There's a lot of analysing going on with checking out your hardware. Think about doing a Win 10 System Image, which takes up to three hours.

Ubuntu is unfortunately not very verbose.
    Last edited by ml9104; 1 Week Ago at 08:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Try this. Make sure your PC is powered completely off. Boot as if you were going to boot into Windows. As your computer starts to boot you will see, "what you called your motherboard splash screen," you should see, "something like hit F2 or Del or whatever to go into setup. Once you are at the setup screen you need to look for fast boot option. Turn it off. Next look for Secure boot. You need to turn this off also. This will keep you from booting from the USB.
    After changing these settings you need to save and reboot. This time put the USB stick in and boot into ubuntu. Select try before installing. Once it comes up, make sure you can get to your network and get on the Internet. If you can then you can install it. You will have the option to wipe the HD and install or install alongside Windows. Whatever you chose at this point can not be changed so make sure you have what you want.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ml9104 View Post
    You're too impatient. The grey/black screen phase during install may take up to half an hour depending on your hardware. There's a lot of analysing going on with checking out your hardware.
    Ubuntu is unfortunately not very verbose.
    No. With a graphical installation this is patently incorrect.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I disabled fast boot, and it's doing the same thing.

I was already able to get to the Ubuntu screen where I can choose to install or try without installing.

Beans

I attempted to go through the help section, and ended up attempting to just a command to boot up with. I decided to try to install, and got a message saying "Could not find kernel image: install". Is it possible that this means that my USB drive somehow doesn't have everything it needs to have on it? (Or am I just misunderstanding this?)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    No. With a graphical installation this is patently incorrect.
    I beg to differ. I've installed and reinstalled Lubuntu 19.04 perhaps 20 times in the last couple of months. The grey/black screen persists 15 minutes on my machine, but the installation completes in the end. There is no HDD nor DVD activity during this time.

Beans

So the suggestion is genuinely just "Leave it running and see what happens"?

I suppose I'll give it a go and check on it before bed. >_<

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast