Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 18.04 (and also Kubuntu 19.04) won't boot/install from USB

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu 18.04 (and also Kubuntu 19.04) won't boot/install from USB

Information on your hardware would have been very useful in trying to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by tamijo View Post
    I get a grey screen with a blinking cursor, then it goes blank. It is almost as if there is no output from the video card, as I get "No Signal" on my monitor.
    This sounds exactly like what you'd see if you were trying to use Nvidia hardware without the benefit of the proprietary driver. That's not part of the install image yet, although it is planned. If that is the case for you, pressing e at the "Try Ubuntu" line would let you edit the startup options: replacing quiet splash with quiet splash nomodeset often helps in that situation. You may find that it works, but at a reduced resolution, with that option. Once you've got it installed, and the proprietary driver installed, you shouldn't need that option any more.

I would also recommend 18.04 over any non-LTS release, and I much prefer Kubuntu to Ubuntu.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Oh wow, this worked!

So now that I've been able to get it to work on "try without install", how would I go about installing with this? Pressing e in the install line and doing the same/similar command?

I assume once I get to that point, I can then just go onto Nvidia's website, download the appropriate driver for my graphics card and it should work fine?

Beans
    Distro

Oh wow, this worked!
    Glad to hear it.

So now that I've been able to get it to work on "try without install", how would I go about installing with this? Pressing e in the install line and doing the same/similar command?
    You'll need to do it each time that you boot from removable media (since that doesn't save anything). For example, if you were trying out a bunch of different desktop environments.

You'd probably need to do it once more after you've installed, from the GRUB menu. Unless you select to download the proprietary driver as part of the install process. After that, you're likely to have the proprietary driver installed, so it shouldn't be necessary.

I assume once I get to that point, I can then just go onto Nvidia's website, download the appropriate driver for my graphics card and it should work fine?
    No, don't download things from random websites. Linux isn't Windows. The file that you'd get from the Nvidia website is pretty hostile to new users, and doesn't play nice with the rest of the system. That's there for software packagers to play with.

There will be an Additional Drivers tool that will download the proprietary driver from the software repositories.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

So how do I get this driver that seems to be missing? Or are you saying that the problem will only persist while I'm booting from USB?

Beans
    Distro

So how do I get this driver that seems to be missing? Or are you saying that the problem will only persist while I'm booting from USB?
    Yes, just until the proprietary driver can be installed: the open source nouveau driver isn't as good at sniffing out the correct resolution as the proprietary nvidia driver.

There's a box you can tick as part of the install process to automatically download and install the proprietary driver. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, you can install it - once you've booted into your install, since the live session can't remember anything - by using the Additional Drivers tool from your install. Or use a package manager. However you like, really.

You'll get the hang of software and packages once you've used Ubuntu for a bit.

Beans

Thank you very much. I'm going to try it when I get back tomorrow evening. My concern is that I'll install it onto my HDD and I won't have a display.

I don't want to have to mess around trying to install my copy of Windows again.

Beans
    Distro

After install is a bit easier: you can call up the Grub menu at boot with a keypress (I can't remember offhand if it's Shift or Esc), which will let you edit the startup line in the same way; or, since you know that you can successfully boot the live image now, you can use that to change the startup options permanently (well, or until you choose to change them again). And installing the proprietary driver as part of the install will probably work, anyway. It's only generally with especially new, or especially peculiar, hardware that people have reported problems here.

Let us know how you get on.

Beans

So I used the "Try before install" option as you instructed, and then installed from that. I went through various menu screens, and opted to install Ubuntu without keeping my old files/Windows.

The screen went black shortly after, and has been so for about half an hour. I'm just leaving it at the moment, but if this sounds like a problem and anybody knows of the solution then feel free to drop it here. I'm going to leave it still just in case.

Beans

It has now been 90 minutes with nothing to indicate it's doing anything. How long should I wait?

Beans
    Distro

Were you doing anything at the point that the screen blanked? The monitor could simply have gone into power saving mode.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast