Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloads to network share

Beans

Question Downloads to network share

I have everything working very nicely on Linux but the last piece of the puzzle is downloading to a network share. Frostwire is my preferred app but I have tried 2 others (Deluge, Transmission) and they also do not let me download to a network share. I spoke with Frostwire and they said:

"that's so weird. Maybe you should just make a symlink of the network drive folder to a place that does get listed on FrostWire and set that as the default save folder."

So I did that but it still does not show up in Frostwire when I go looking for it?

Perhaps I am not making the symlink correctly? I used the "ctl-shift" method. Or perhaps I am not using it correctly? I copied it to the download folder in Frostwire.

Hopefully I can get this last piece of the puzzle resolved as I hate switching back to Win10 just to download something to my NAS drives.

Thank for any pointers,

-DK

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Re: Downloads to network share

I have a symlink from /home/username/Downloads on my central server to /home/username on my client machines. Everything I download goes to the shared directory. Perhaps it's a permissions problem?

I have no idea what the "ctl-shift" method is since I use the terminal for all such tasks. The /home directory on my server is mounted at /media/servername on the client in /etc/fstab:

Code:
    server:/home            /media/server   nfs     defaults        0 0
    Then on the client machine I did

Code:
    cd /home/username
    ln -s /media/server/username/Downloads
    to construct a symlink from my Downloads directory on the server to the home directory on my client.

Notice that I'm using NFS to share the server's files. If you're trying to do this with Windows networking, all bets are off, since Windows filesystems don't support *nix symlinks. You'd need to export the directories on your NAS with NFS.

Everything works flawlessly with this system including downloads from Firefox and from Transmission.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 6 Days Ago at 05:03 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I don't understand the nature of the question.

Which is probably why I don't understand Frostwire's suggestion of a symlink.

If this is a CIFS mount of the NAS share you can mount it anywhere you want to mount it so a symlink to someplace else isn't necessary.

If you are mounting the share through your file manager that may be an issue for this frostwire thingy you mention if it is not "gvfs aware". Or you don't realize that there is a real mount point.

So which is it? File manager mount or CIFS mount?

If you mount the share through your file manager run this command in a terminal after mounting and post the output:
    Code:
    ls -al /run/user/$UID/gvfs
    Last edited by Morbius1; 6 Days Ago at 08:13 PM.

Beans

ls -al /run/user/$UID/gvfs
    total 0
    dr-x------ 4 digitalknight digitalknight 0 Aug 12 10:12 .
    drwx------ 9 digitalknight digitalknight 220 Aug 12 10:12 ..
    drwx------ 1 digitalknight digitalknight 0 Aug 10 14:57 'smb-share:server=marksnas,share=movies'
    drwx------ 1 digitalknight digitalknight 0 Jul 5 16:59 'smb-share:server=tp-share,share=sda1'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you use NFS, 99.99999999% of programs won't know that it isn't local storage.
    I avoid using CIFS/Samba/gvfs mounts whenever possible, which is usually easy unless Windows is involved.

Beans

The storage devices are a WD My Cloud 2TB with a 5TB Seagate USB drive attached to it and the other is a 3TB WD USB drive attached the USB port of the TP-Link router.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

If you must use Windows-style sharing, then I recommend Morbius's suggestion. Mount the remote filesystem directly as /home/username/Downloads. You'll need to do this in /etc/fstab, I suspect.

Be sure to back up everything in the Downloads directory first, then delete all the files before mounting with CIFS.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by digitalknight View Post
    The storage devices are a WD My Cloud 2TB with a 5TB Seagate USB drive attached to it and the other is a 3TB WD USB drive attached the USB port of the TP-Link router.
    Please be very careful using those devices for storage sharing. Both have had firmware issues that made storage available over the internet to unauthorized devices.
    https://thehackernews.com/2018/09/wd...s-hacking.html
    https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...up-to-hackers/
    Different variants of these devices have also been found with security issues, my abandoned tp-link router is included, so I had to pull it.

Beans

thanks, not to concerned as my internet down here in Colombia is slower than a snail and if they want to try and wait for weeks or months for one of my movies to upload to them all the more power to them... but I think they will find much fast sources...

Beans

I will give it a shot and see what I can get working... the WD My cloud does also have SSH and FTP access which I could enable if that might make my life easier...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast