Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does adding these codecs make me unsafe ?

Beans

does adding these codecs make me unsafe ?

Hi I addded some codecs andI just want toknwo whether it makes me unsafe in any way ?

wasn't there a problem with vlc using old codecs that caused a vulnerability ?

sudo apt install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly lame libavcodec-extra libdvdread4

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: does adding these codecs make me unsafe ?

Quote Originally Posted by jedi123 View Post
    Hi I addded some codecs andI just want toknwo whether it makes me unsafe in any way ?

wasn't there a problem with vlc using old codecs that caused a vulnerability ?

sudo apt install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly lame libavcodec-extra libdvdread4
    I don't think they're "unsafe." They're just not "free" or "open source" software. That's why they are not included by default.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

libdvdread4 is not a codec; it's used to decrypt DVDs. It may be illegal in some countries:
    https://wiki.videolan.org/Frequently...vdcss_legal.3F

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    libdvdread4 is not a codec; it's used to decrypt DVDs. It may be illegal in some countries:
    https://wiki.videolan.org/Frequently...vdcss_legal.3F
    aka codecs to the average user. Encryption itself is supposedly illegal to share with certain countries.

@OP I have yet to see a case where a system has been compromised with those softwares.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

may be illegal in some countries
    Those who provide the packages are not lawyers so it is up to the end user to abide by the laws in their own country or not. I've never experienced a compromised or broken system by installing codec packages. They are also non-free as stated in post 2.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

In the US "circumvention" of software protections for copyrighted material is illegal under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

The DMCA prohibits circumventing access-control measures. 17 U.S.C. § 1201(a)(1). For example, if you cannot watch a particular copyrighted DVD on your laptop because of an encryption system, the DMCA makes it unlawful for you to bypass this access-control measure.
    http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/circ...right-controls

As a practical matter, no one will prosecute you for watching a movie on your computer using libdvdread4.

That said, this thread is bumping up against the Code of Conduct.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 6 Days Ago at 05:12 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The OP is a question regarding system vulnerabilities related to installing codecs and not about violating TOS or EULA in various countries.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; 6 Days Ago at 06:25 PM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Thanks!

BTW, I've always preferred the combination of SMPlayer and mpv over any other media player. No other codecs needed for most anything you would want to play.

Code:
    sudo apt install smplayer mpv
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; 6 Days Ago at 08:00 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

I think the codecs in the ubuntu repositories are older at times but always receive security updates. Not a worry IMO.

I show chromium/ffmpeg codecs already installed, must be part of the restricted-extra package. I do have the browser installed, maybe that brought it in. I have not yet installed any "M" media players on this one, so not the reason.

There are several nice players that are built on mplayer and there is talk of mplayer being discontinued. I wonder what that will do to M base players and their security.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

VLC has always done the trick for me. It has been my go to player for years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast