Thread: When I check if i have falsh installed this is what I get message .... "its virtual"

Beans

When I check if i have falsh installed this is what I get message .... "its virtual"

$ apt show adobe-flashplugin

Package: adobe-flashplugin
    State: not a real package (virtual)
    N: Can't select candidate version from package adobe-flashplugin as it has no candidate
    N: Can't select versions from package 'adobe-flashplugin' as it is purely virtual
    N: No packages found

What does virtual mean, I am virtually perplexed.

Beans

Re: When I check if i have falsh installed this is what I get message .... "its virt

Maybe this will explain it.
    Pure virtual packages is the number of packages that exist only as a virtual package name; that is, packages only "provide" the virtual package name, and no package actually uses the name. For instance, "mail-transport-agent" in the Debian system is a pure virtual package; several packages provide "mail-transport-agent", but there is no package named "mail-transport-agent".

Single virtual packages is the number of packages with only one package providing a particular virtual package. For example, in the Debian system, "X11-text-viewer" is a virtual package, but only one package, xless, provides "X11-text-viewer".

Mixed virtual packages is the number of packages that either provide a particular virtual package or have the virtual package name as the package name. For instance, in the Debian system, "debconf" is both an actual package, and provided by the debconf-tiny package.
    Code:
    man apt-cache
    Last edited by cruzer001; August 11th, 2019 at 06:31 AM.

Beans

Re: When I check if i have falsh installed this is what I get message .... "its virt

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

More likely you don't have the Canonical Partners repos enabled.
    That's where the adobe-flashplugin package is and it's not enabled by default.

The virtual package output is probably because Ubuntu does have another flash installer package in a repo that is enabled.
    flashplugin-installer is in the universe repository.
    Both package provide flashplugin-nonfree.

The difference between the adobe-flashplugin package and the flashplugin-installer package is the flashplugin-installer package installs the old npapi (firefox plugins) only.
    Whereas adobe-flashplugin installs both the npapi version and chrome's ppapi version (aka pepperflash)

EDIT:
    For what it's worth
    Code:
    apt show <package>
    does not show or tell anything about installed packages.
    It only outputs information about packages in the archives.

Now
    Code:
     apt policy <package>
    will show whether a package is installed or not.
    Last edited by deadflowr; August 11th, 2019 at 06:12 PM.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Thanks . The reason why I ask this is because I added "restricted-extras" packages, then 15 minutes later , foudn out that "flash" is in the restricted packages. Wiped ubuntu again, then reinstalled then added codecs like this

sudo apt install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra gstreamer1.0-fluendo-mp3 gstreamer1.0-libav gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly lame libavcodec-extra libdvdread4

Thats where the question comes from. Would you see any danger by addding codecs this way ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not a problem.
    Ubuntu-restricted-extras is just a meta-package that makes it easy to install those packages in one fell swoop.
    (And truly, that's all it does.
    It never gets updated but the packages it provides do.)

Also, fwiw if you want to play restricted dvds you might consider installing the libdvd-pkg package.
    See here about that:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Just once clarification, even if I install the restricted-extras package, it would by default still ask me to activate flash per each individual use , and not automatically activate flash ..correct?

Beans

In Firefox

Click on the FireFox menu and go to Add-ons
    Then select Plugins, r-click on flash and choose "Ask first"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Something to be aware of for the next version of Firefox.

https://www.fxsitecompat.dev/en-CA/d...-be-activated/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by walts48 View Post
    Something to be aware of for the next version of Firefox.[/url]
    I'm not surprise with flash reaching EOL next year. I do manage to stay away from changes by running FF ESR.