Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What exactly do you do with your computer at home ?

Beans

Re: What exactly do you do with your computer at home ?

Web and email of course. In my spare time, my hobbies are programming (iOS/Android development and python) as well as other projects like working on my NAS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

i just want to say that i don't believe no one watches pr0n on their home PC

anyway i mostly use it for checking email, reading news, playing games and paying bills (i know paying via android is easier, but it just seems a bit more secure via PC). i also process photos and occasionally (though not so much lately) edit some videos. this is all light editing, a cut here and there. the PC is very old.

the desktop is mostly occupied anyway by kids watchign you tube or playing games. also i am not home so much and since i work at a deskjob behind a PC i am often too tired (eyes) to also touch it at home.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think I've mentioned this somewhere b4, but over in the corner is my TV set that I have watched for a total of about 4 hours over the past 4-5 years, and they were all David Rabbitburough shows. Between my computers/tablet/phone my connectivity needs are well and truly met. I do everything now on the computer that I have always done, except I no longer cut code nor push hardware envelopes. Everything from finance to entertainment, from news to sports, from social media (blurgh) to pondering the meaning of life, is all done on computers in various forms. Surprisingly, emails have become an insignificant role for my computers even to the point where I only get 3-5 spam emails a week. Couple of years ago this would have been approx 30-50 spam emails a day.

A new endeavor for me is in the garden. I've always had a passion for a particular flower species and now I find I can maintain a online database of my plants that all my electronic devices can link to. My phone/tablet cameras have even supplanted my DSLR camera as image taker of choice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I run a Motion server, so the first thing I do while drinking coffee is merge all the vids together, then open with VLC and take the speed to 4x and look for any clips worth saving, which is usually 5 out of 30 clips recorded daily per camera.

Next, I go to Facebook to see what non-sense my friends are posting and match their rhetoric with more rhetoric.

Check my email and delete all of the emails from recruiters who's names I cannot pronounce.

Rip disks that are getting scratched to MP4, then create a new ISO and burn it to a new DVD.

Search for tech jobs relative to my education and end up applying for call center support positions, because I can't afford the $10k worth of certs needed to get a real tech job.

Search for new wine making recipes, since I have almost 200 pounds of peaches I just finished processing and tossing in the freezer and have yet another peach tree about to start ripening.

Order more seeds and supplies for the veggies and microgreens I have growing.

Pay bills, thanks to my wife picking of a more lucrative profession, which honors a degree as an investment in knowledge.

Check the forums for anything that I can help with or learn from others' mistakes.

Play with VMs

Boot Kali to see if any of the updated script kiddie softwares can crack my WiFi.

Search Google for information on whatever project I currently have going and try to find ideas for a small business, as I didn't have the funding I needed to start the roofing company I had planned to start when moving to where we live now.

Clicking refresh on Facebook in hopes of something stupid to reply to.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I run a Motion server, so the first thing I do while drinking coffee is merge all the vids together, then open with VLC and take the speed to 4x and look for any clips worth saving, which is usually 5 out of 30 clips recorded daily per camera.
    I can (kind of) relate to that. I can look at the lake conditions without leaving the living room.

https://www.insecam.org/en/byrating/

Beans
    Hidden!

I write, read, and just for fun load two different windows with invidio.us so I can watch the video of one synced with the sound of the other:

"I would do anything for love (but I won't do that)" vs. "Easy Lover" by Genesis

"All About that Bass" vs. "Dancing in the Moonlight" by King Harvest, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    I can (kind of) relate to that. I can look at the lake conditions without leaving the living room.

https://www.insecam.org/en/byrating/
    Wow, the exact reason I built my own server. No IP cams.

Beans

Three machines.

My macOS machine pays my bills with InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop. It's my main machine: email, web surfing, calendar, etc. I spend at least an hour a day doing emails, if not more.

My Windows machine is for gaming. It's pretty much a toy.

My Linux machine is for tinkering and curiosity. I have a couple VMs set up with older OSes (OpenStep, Mac OS 9, OS X 10.0) and for general messing around.

Beans

- Yes, those, plus . . .
    - Accounting - Gnu Cash is the most awesome accounting software ever, and it's free. When I moved over I exported IIF files from <cough> Quickbooks and brought everything in, it just . . . works.
    - Coding - I code all day (web stuff, PHP, perl, JS/jQuery etc.) but love to constantly improve OOP design pattern skills, I go through books and write out the code examples. At home I run Netbeans, at work, PHP Storm. Nothing beats Storm, I just haven't bought my own license yet.
    - Graphics - Gimp falls short of Photoshop in only one aspect: the color lookup tables, being open source, have a lot to be desired. Adobe's color lookup tables are far superior. But for web display, GIMP rocks, I do a lot of that and use it to comp out designs for my watercolor paintings.
    - Documents - Use the Libre Office suite a lot.
    - Duke Nukem - go ahead, laugh. This is the **only** video game I play, it's violent, sexist, non-PC and I love it. I built eduke32 a few years back and there are hundreds and hundreds of user created add-on maps, many of them are true genius. I "get me some" once or twice a week. I just wished it had a network port for deathmatch maps.

The main thing I do is make videos.
    What are your software recommendations? I haven't found a video editor that works just right for me, this is the **only** reason I go over to Windoze on my dual boot machine, to use PowerDirector. Free is not required, I will pay for a decent Linux video editor.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Clicking refresh on Facebook in hopes of something stupid to reply to.
    LOL . . . Facebook is like a refrigerator, you open it, find nothing interesting to eat, close it and walk away, then ten minutes later you open it again . . . nope, same stuff. Nothing to see here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast