Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found I needed more power.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I found I needed more power.

This is crazy, but I have an Asus i7 laptop with a 250 gig SSD and 8Gig of memory, but it was struggling to render videos when exporting from OpenShot video editor. So I picked up a refurb Dell desktop with a 512 SSD and 16 Gig of memory. It also had an i7 processor. All this for a little over 300 bucks.
    It really made a difference, Maybe it was just the 16 Gig of Ram, but now Everything just runs faster and no crashes. This refurb system came with Windows 10 like most pcs you buy, but that didn't last long. I have been totally a Linux guy since Windows 10 came out. When I started up this system I setup Windows and used it for about 15 minutes, and then put my USB with Ubuntu 19.04 and rebooted it and installed it. About a half-hour later it was installed with all the programs I use. (Not to worry about data files, there are all in the cloud and on my 3 Tb external hard drive.)
    Here is a couple of snapshots of the new system. Buy the way I picked up the two dell monitors for 150 bucks for both of them. Not bad, uh.
    20190808_132010_HDR.jpg20190808_132028.jpg

One thing nice about using Linux is when some Windows person asks me to help them I just tell them, I don't know anything about Windows, I am a Linux guy.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Re: I found I needed more power.

I have found 24G+HDD is not really a big player in performance. With SSD+Ram I think the weak link has been replaced and 8 or 16G is a far better choice than 4gig. As you have found out with the programs you run. I also think more core is needed and that requires a i9 be in my dream laptop

Nice find on that desktop

Beans

I am still running (as my server) an HP z800 CAD workstation circa 2010. I got it for $500 and upgraded ram to 96gb. It has 2 6-core Xeons (24 virtual cores) and even though it is 9 years old, still smokes. I can compile ~700 FreeBSD software packages, including Libreoffice, Firefox, Chromium, llvm and gcc in under 3 hours. That's with 2 15k rpm SAS drives (RAID), not even SSDs. I like keeping old things alive, to a point.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    So I picked up a refurb
    I can also recommend refurbished high-end computers. You get more value for the money that way compared to buying brand new consumer class computers. And linux works very well, because the hardware drivers have been developed and debugged for the computers that have reached the age, when they are sold as refurbs.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

my challege with a new PC is to avoid using Windows at all, so i can "sector image" the whole drive or SSD to an external drive, compressing along the way. so i need to be quick on that very first boot and bring up Ubuntu Live from some external medium (CDROM or memory stick). then i plug in one of my big external drives that has the tools i need and oodles of space. one i have that image, i can always put Windows back into the "i'm fresh from the factory, never having boot up before, ready to assault my new owner with popups".
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

sudodus had the right idea. Buy refurbished high-end, save money and get a pc that works with Linux out of the box. Beefing up memory and using SSD's really speeds up things. And cruzer001's idea of an i9 processor would be great but they won't give me that kind of money at the bank. When they come out with the next new processor and the price comes down on the i9 I will probaly be dead.

Beans

Hex core i7 laptops can be less than $1000US. I have seen them for 8. If ever I see one for 5 I may not be able to resists.

Beans

So, If I order a refurbished computer, am I informed what was done to refurbish it? What new parts? Or do they just clean it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Dennis N, Here is what I order and got. I even got more than what the description said.
    Amazon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    Hex core i7 laptops can be less than $1000US. I have seen them for 8. If ever I see one for 5 I may not be able to resists.
    When they first came out with the i7 I got my new Asus laptop I have listed in my signature below for a little over $800, I got two of them at that time. One for me and one for the Sunday School teachers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast