Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Soooo ... how many computers do you have?

Beans

Cool Soooo ... how many computers do you have?

Soooo ... how many computers do you have on right now that you are monitoring from time to time? Also, how many monitors do you really have attached to these computers?

I have 3 computers currently on and they are attached to a grand total of 5 monitors (31", 21", two 19" and a 15" monitor). I also have two 38" TVs that I can hook up as well when I'm not watching Directv, Hulu, Amazon Prime Videos or Netflix.

I almost forgot, 2 Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (15" monitor and a 17" monitor) running Retropie for old gaming and one is outfitted with a SSD drive which stores a buttload of games.

I have two computers on the floor waiting on hardware. One will be my security camera system and the other will be my database server. I have 5 more Raspberry Pis placed around the house to watch the dogs and the house.

I have even more hardware stored in the garage.

OMG...I'M A COMPUTER HOARDER. LOL

Buddy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Soooo ... how many computers do you have?

Welp... let's see... I'm on my Asus lappy on the front porch right now (Intel Core i5, Win10)... so that's 1...

Mini ITX firewall (quad core Celeron J3160, Ubuntu 18.04 server)... (no monitor) that's 2...

File server and Virtualbox host (AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7 quad core, Ubuntu 18.04)... 1 monitor... that's 3...

Backup server (ancient AMD Phenom II quad core, also Ubuntu 18.04)... no monitor... only powered on when I'm doing backups, so that's 4...

MythTV system (another ancient Phenom II quad core, Mythbuntu 16.04)... 50" plasma monitor I use as a TV... that's 5...

Work PC (Dell laptop, Intel i7, dual 25" 2K monitors, Win 10)... that's 6...

Should I also count my rarely used, super ancient Sony Vaio XP laptop that I keep to run 1 or 2 programs that only work in XP? If that counts, that's 7.

And I have another machine in my closet I built in 2005 that has an Athlon 64... haven't plugged it in or powered it on for years... haven't had the heart to toss it since it does work... I think I had Linux Mint on it last I used it. So, 8, if we're counting machines I don't run.

So 6-8 computers, 3 monitors (plus laptop screens), 1 TV. And yes, Linux/Ubuntu systems outnumber ******* systems in my house.

P.S. I almost forgot, my old Mini ITX firewall that the Celeron one replaced... not currently in use as it's on 14.04, but I'll keep as a spare... maybe swap it in once 20.04 comes out).
    Last edited by kpatz; June 11th, 2019 at 01:37 AM.
    Current 'buntu systems: multiple systems running Server or Desktop 22.04 LTS / Retired or Upgraded: 18.04.2 LTS, Mythbuntu 16.04 LTS, Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, 14.04 LTS, 10.04 LTS, 8.04 LTS
    Been using ubuntu since 6.04 (16 years!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Being in my position, I get to maintain and troubleshoot all of the computers in the house with the exception of my daughter's Chromebook (it just works) and my son's desktop (he's maintaining that himself). I don't get to use my wife's computer, but I get blamed for it being slow and get to try to maintain the system. Same with my other daughter's destkop though I tried to switch it over to Chromium OS but she hasn't bitten yet.

1. a 17" Dell laptop running a mix of Pop! OS and Windows 10 in separate hard drives (currently Win 10 because my wife uses it when her Win 7 starts to crawl)
    2. a 15" Compaq laptop running Neverware Cloudready (Home) (so is effectively like a Chromebook)
    3. a Raspberry Pi running NextcloudPi hooked up to a 1.5TB USB drive and all of the computers in the house (under my perview) back up to it. That's 4-5 (including my 2 hard drives; one Windows and one Linux)
    4. a Samsung tablet
    5. a Dell Optiplex running Cloudready (was going to replace my daughter's Windows 7 but may end up replacing the hard drive and install Ubuntu Server and use LXC/LXD containers to run various services.
    6. a Duo Core Dell desktops which was using for servers but currently they don't seem to want to boot up.
    7. another Duo Core Dell desktops which was using for servers but currently they don't seem to want to boot up. I'll have to troubleshoot and make sure everything is plugged in tight and nothing is missing.
    8. a Pentium 4 desktop that used to be one of my severs before I upgraded to the Duo Core desktops. Not sure what to do with it yet, but if I cannot get the Duo Cores working, I may have to look to this instead.
    9. another Pentium 4 desktop that used to be one of my severs before I upgraded to the Duo Core desktops. Not sure what to do with it yet, but if I cannot get the Duo Cores working, I may have to look to this instead.
    10. and I have a couple of other ones lying around but they are usually older. Like I keep one because it has an IDE connector instead of SATA so if I want to check the contents of an IDE hard drive I could use that. Plus it has a large enough bay to take my Firewire card in case I get around to trying to digitize my home movies.

Keep in mind, the tablet was purchased for the kids to use in High School about 5 years ago and the Raspberry Pi was put in service within the past year (took the duties from a desktop "server").

Other than that, I have not purchased any of these computers and the last one I purchased for my own use was in 2000. These are either gifted to my by individuals (my 17" Dell was my Mom's before she upgraded and the Compaq is from somebody who took pity on me when all my computers were busted (screen or battery), from the openSUSE Forums, both systems about 10+ years old) or from companies getting rid of or raffling off systems they have upgraded their employees from.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Usually only 2 in the house my Linux desktop and the wife's Windows 10 desktop.

Every now and then I'll power on the Flight Simulator X desktop and make a short flight however I keep it offline because it's Windows XP.

I have a desktop in the amateur radio shack / shop although it hasn't been on in a couple of years as I don't mess with the amateur radio much anymore.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am using:

- A Ryzen 3 2200G, 16 GB DDR4, 128 GB SSD, 1.82 TB HDDs (3x) running a minimal install of Ubuntu 19.04 with ZFS and Virtualbox. The monitor 22" Fujitsu/Siemens (1680x1050). The system runs many VMs;
    • Xubuntu 18.04.2 for browsing, email, torrents, whatsapp, libre-office apps etc.
    • Ubuntu 16.04 for banking and paypall
    • Ubuntu Mate 19.04 for experiments and try out of apps.
    • Windows XP for music with WOW and TrueBass effects.
    • trying out and testing;
      • Ubuntu 19.10
      • Xubuntu 19.10
      • Ubuntu Mate 19.10

• and out of curiosity:
      • Linux Mint 19.1
      • Peppermint 10
      • Android 8
      • FreeBSD 12
      • Windows 7
      • Windows 10, mainly for the news app.

- A Phenom II X4 B97 (3.2 GHz), 8 GB DDR2, very slow SATA disks (~60 MB/s). The system is running Ubuntu 18.04.2 using ZFS striped and LZ4 compressed (2.5" 160 GB and 3.5" 80 GB). It is used by visiting (grand)children. To compensate for the slow disks, it runs with a 4 GB cache for disk IO. The monitor is a 22" TV.

- A Pentium 4 HT (3.0 GHz) 1.25 GB DDR, IDE HDDs (320 + 250 GB) and SATA-1 HDD (320GB and 2.5") with FreeBSD 12 + XFCE using ZFS, striped and LZ4 compressed as headless backup server. BTRFS does not work efficiently as backup for ZFS and I lost one of the sub-volumes. Linux has no 32-bit ZFS support and in general 32-bit support is getting worse very fast, while FreeBSD works perfectly with this ancient PC. FreeBSD even supports installing it on a compressed Raid configuration. I'm really impressed.

- A i5-2520M laptop 14", 8 GB DDR3, 1 TB SSHD with Ubuntu Mate 18.04.2, ZFS, Virtualbox, the same VMs and the same data as the desktop synchronized every week.

I still have the following stuff in a cabinet.

- An original 17" Philips CRT not used

- A 486DX66, 8 MB and 200+500 MB HDD and coax Ethernet running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and dual booting with OS/2 Warp.

- A P3105, XT clone, 760 KB with 20 MB HDD with B/W CRT and coax Ethernet running MS-DOS 6.0
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; July 17th, 2019 at 04:40 AM.

Beans

Impressive! Seems I am in pretty good company!

LOL

Buddy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

One 17 inch HP Envy laptop with a 24 inch hdmi monitor plugged into it, dual boots 3 different Ubuntu flavors (Ubuntu-mate 18.04, Xubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu Xenial 16.04)

3 raspberry pi-s, 1 of which is a pi 3 B and the other 2 are both pi 3 B+; all 3 are plugged into a 32 inch JVC LCD tv in the lounge room.

I have an old tower from about 2010 which needs new thermal paste and a bit of testing/re-building, so not currently working but should do so again eventually. I have a spare 24 inch monitor currently in use as a display for a satellite tv set top box, but will be swapped back to the tower when the tower is eventually fixed up.
    Last edited by yetimon_64; June 12th, 2019 at 09:33 PM. Reason: corrected monitor sizes, 24inch not 21inch.

Beans

I have two computers,and the old one hasn't been opened for 2 years.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Lots.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

One desktop
    Your files aren't in the cloud, they're just on someone else's computer.
    --Dave

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast