Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brave Browser

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Brave Browser

https://brave.com/

Anyone heard of this project? Thoughts, ideas, opinions?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Brave Browser

I was looking for a Chrome/Chromium replacement because I object to Google running 'tests' in the background over which I have no control, and thus looked at Brave. Yeah, nah. Brave uses the same Blink engine as Chrome/Chromium and runs the same tests in the background. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Some have inquired about installing it, but as stated above it's another Chromium based browser with built in ad-blocking and tracking protection. I tend to be skeptical of browser speed claims regardless of who produces said browser. Give it a try for a week or two and come to your own conclusion.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Some have inquired about installing it, but as stated above it's another Chromium based browser with built in ad-blocking and tracking protection. I tend to be skeptical of browser speed claims regardless of who produces said browser. Give it a try for a week or two and come to your own conclusion.
    Tried it from Friday to today... about 5 days. I am switching to Brave as my primary browser, and using Firefox for secondary. Dropping the Chromium.

Don't get me wrong, Firefox and Chromium are great browsers. Brave is definitely faster and snappier. Works great.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PJs Ronin View Post
    I was looking for a Chrome/Chromium replacement because I object to Google running 'tests' in the background over which I have no control, and thus looked at Brave. Yeah, nah. Brave uses the same Blink engine as Chrome/Chromium and runs the same tests in the background. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...
    Brave is expressly billed as privacy focused. It's headed by the co-founder of Mozilla. I use it regularly. It isn't just someone's little project.
    Is there some privacy-invasive function I should be worried about?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by linuxguy2 View Post
    Brave is expressly billed as privacy focused. It's headed by the co-founder of Mozilla. I use it regularly. It isn't just someone's little project.
    Is there some privacy-invasive function I should be worried about?
    Perhaps I was a little unclear. I don't know what Chrome/Brave/Firefox/etc do with my data, but I assume that because I'm such a scatterbrain their AI systems are thrown into confusion... hence I never get advertising that makes sense. However, those browsers with the Blink engine continuously run beta tests in the background as google developes new browser code.

I've been involved in many beta tests over the years but in every instance those tests were performed with my understanding of the test goals and with my approval for the test to run on my computers. With these Blink tests there is no opt-in or opt-out and the tests can't be sand-boxed or denied. And, they do consume computer resources. I'm a little picky about CPU fan speeds and when I hear my fans kick into higher gear (for no apparent reason) it is always because of these background tests. Yep, I'm so anal that it becomes personal to narrow the field of culprits down.

I liked the Brave appearance and it's snappy response, but the core of this browser is the same as Chromium/Chrome and everything else based on Blink. Using it thus becomes a user choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Perhaps I was a little unclear. I don't know what Chrome/Brave/Firefox/etc do with my data, but I assume that because I'm such a scatterbrain their AI systems are thrown into confusion... hence I never get advertising that makes sense. However, those browsers with the Blink engine continuously run beta tests in the background as google developes new browser code.

I've been involved in many beta tests over the years but in every instance those tests were performed with my understanding of the test goals and with my approval for the test to run on my computers. With these Blink tests there is no opt-in or opt-out and the tests can't be sand-boxed or denied. And, they do consume computer resources. I'm a little picky about CPU fan speeds and when I hear my fans kick into higher gear (for no apparent reason) it is always because of these background tests. Yep, I'm so anal that it becomes personal to narrow the field of culprits down.

I liked the Brave appearance and it's snappy response, but the core of this browser is the same as Chromium/Chrome and everything else based on Blink. Using it thus becomes a user choice.
    Found this in an article.

The choice of using Google's Blink rendering engine over Mozilla's Gecko would help the browser "hide" and make it harder to be blocked by sites looking to engage in ad-blocking blocking games, Gal said.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I've been doing some research on this, but I can't seem to find anything that isn't just about rendering. Can you expand on what Blink does behind the scenes?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Just under 30 mins of facts by the guys from google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=392VTLQyKDc
    To ask what goes on behind the scenes would be a very long-in-the-tooth essay.
    Also I find this informative from time to time: https://chromestatus.com/features#blink

What’s important is that you know the browser engine is the key software responsible for what we’re discussing.
    From bytes to characters!
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

I use the Brave browser on my Android tablet. Overall, it seems to do a better job than other browsers I have used. I also have it install on my Ubuntu systems but only for testing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast