Thread: Any way to change an icon for a file?

Beans

Post Any way to change an icon for a file?

Hello, I'm looking for a way to change an icon for a specific file on my desktop.

I tried changing it through file properties, but the icon shows no respond while clicking on it.

Is there any terminal commands to do it?

I run the latest version of Lubuntu 19.04 (LXQT environment)
    Last edited by udalny; August 8th, 2019 at 09:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Any way to change an icon for a file?

Please specify your exact release of Lubuntu, for example the latest two releases of Lubuntu use LXQt (LXDE was 3 releases back or earlier).

It might also be helpful if you specify where you want to see the icon, ie. desktop (https://manual.lubuntu.me/5/5.2/desktop_icons.html which is the manual for the latest Lubuntu release) or within the file manager (`pcmanfm-qt` assuming the latest release of Lubuntu (LXQt), or `pcmanfm` if using an older Lubuntu 18.04 LTS (LXDE))
    Last edited by guiverc; August 8th, 2019 at 09:19 AM. Reason: add desktop/file-manager/other? question

Beans

Re: Any way to change an icon for a file?

Oh, yes, i'm sorry it's actually LXQT. My version is 19.04.

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    Please specify your exact release of Lubuntu, for example the latest two releases of Lubuntu use LXQt (LXDE was 3 releases back or earlier).

It might also be helpful if you specify where you want to see the icon, ie. desktop (https://manual.lubuntu.me/5/5.2/desktop_icons.html which is the manual for the latest Lubuntu release) or within the file manager (`pcmanfm-qt` assuming the latest release of Lubuntu (LXQt), or `pcmanfm` if using an older Lubuntu 18.04 LTS (LXDE))
    I want to see the icon on desktop.

I figured it out. You can create a shortcut for your executable on desktop which could have any icon you want. To do that you need to create a blank file and edit like this:

[desktop entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Version=1.0
    Type=Application
    Terminal=false
    Exec=<path to your executable>
    Name=<name of your executable>
    Icon=<path to your icon>

Then save it as <name of your executable>.desktop in ~/.local/share/applications and done.

Thanks to guiverc for the link on desktop.
    Last edited by howefield; August 8th, 2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: posts merged.