Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Multiple Desktop Environments

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Multiple Desktop Environments

My one experience with adding a different desktop did not work and I generally do not want to mess up my main working install. So I always do another install.

But I turn off os-prober and use my own 40_custom to boot other installs. You do not even have to update grub in main working install if you use configfile, or boot the link to most current kernel.

How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.- Cavsfan
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...tomGrub2Screen
    https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/ma...-manual-config
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/CustomMenus

From my 18.04 I boot Eoan this way. If I reinstall & reformat, I do have to reset label of partition.

Code:
    menuentry "Eoan 19.10 on sdb9 test" {
        search --set=root --label eoan --hint hd2,gpt9
        configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    }
    Or my other copy of 18.04 on HDD using link to most current kernel.
    Code:
    menuentry "Bionic 18.04 on sda7" {
        search --set=root --label bionic --hint hd0,gpt7
            #set root=(hd0,gpt7)
            linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda7 ro quiet splash
            initrd /initrd.img
    }
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    It dows not have to be this way, although this is certainly true for Ubuntu. An example where things are a lot easier is Slackware where a simple ncurses interface (xwmconfig) allows painless switching between 7 desktop types. Some of these desktops are admittedly not 'front of the pack' but 3rd party offerings can certainly be added in...
    Yes I'm aware, I run 5 different environments now. ("I" just don't recommend it, To avoid confusion to a normal user.) Also to avoid wrong guess's when helping users in the forums.
    **However** the Devs don't appreciate this when filing bugs.(Testing, bug triaging,Gnome & KDE Plasma)
    On my play and daily work machines I'll have multiple DE's.
    The OP was asking what would happen, and I did not feel they were in a testing mind set just yet. (I could be wrong though.)
    My advice is to help the user fully enjoy their experience, if an advanced user wants advice then thats a different story.
    Reminds me of an old adage "If you have to ask, then probably not"
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What is the problem of using VMs? Yes the performance will be different, but for comparison it will be good enough. I use my VMs daily on top of ZFS and in some cases my performance is better than on bare metal. I reboot the Linux VMs in 6 to 10 seconds, my response times are instantaneous, because of the memory caching of ZFS. The performance of bare metal Ubuntu using EXT4, ZFS or BTRFS will also be different too and sometimes significantly different.

With ZFS you could easily create a datapool/partition for all Ubuntu OSes and have a dataset/folder per Ubuntu OS. In Ubuntu 19.10 they will support to boot from ZFS. I already boot from ZFS and have two different installations one Ubunu 19.04 with Virtualbox and another Ubuntu Mate 19.04 with QEMU/KVM. The snapshots of ZFS would probably be an advantage in your line of work! Those snapshots saved me twice once with a VM and once after a power-failed upgrade of Ubuntu Mate..

Currently I install the system on an ext4 partition (16 GB) kept free for the purpose. Afterwards I move the system to a ZFS dataset, chroot into it, run update grub, add an entry to /etc/grub.d/40_common of my main system, etc etc (approx 10 terminal commands in total) and I have another Ubuntu OS bootable from ZFS.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; 5 Days Ago at 10:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lammert-nijhof View Post
    What is the problem of using VMs? Yes the performance will be somewhat worse, but for comparison it will be good enough. I use my VMs daily on top of ZFS and in some cases my performance is better than on bare metal. I reboot the Linux VMs in 6 to 10 seconds, my response times are instantaneous, because of the memory caching of ZFS.
    Gaming.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12