Thread: Disk Cleaners

Beans

Disk Cleaners

Do VMs need CCleaner or something similar to keep them unclogged?

Beans

Re: Disk Cleaners

No, Linux doesn't need anything like this. Windows does because it is horribly designed.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

I think he was asking about a Windows VM running under some VM manager on a Linux host.

I can't imagine running Windows in a VM would be different than running it directly on the hardware in this regard, but I don't know for sure.
    regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quick answer: every time you virtualize something, you get a penalty over running it on the bare hardware. That means that the OS running in virtual machine will run slower than if it would run directly on that same machine without virtualization layer.
    That's true for any OS on commodity hardware, with exception for some exotic hardware that is purposefully built to support virtualization from the ground up - and that's not the off-the-shelf computer.
    EDIT: I may have jumped the gun here, and rbmorse is right as far as the same needed tools IE: AntiVirus, DiskTools, and anything else the user would need to have in a Windows environment.
    Last edited by 1fallen; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:45 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

OK, that makes sense. I should have asked what OS the VMs were - assumed Linux...
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans

Whether it be Linux guest or host the only gui cleaner I have used is Bleachbit. Its a convenience, not a necessity.

https://www.bleachbit.org/features

Code:
    sudo apt install bleachbit

Beans

Apologies, Windows 10 host, VM with Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by merlot160 View Post
    Do VMs need CCleaner or something similar to keep them unclogged?
    I treat VMs just like physical machines. My Windows VM is for just a few purposes and I install 1 new software item every year on it to do my taxes. I don't leave important data on Windows and don't use it for email, web, or anything outside about 3-5 very specific uses, which don't involve the internet.

As for Linux/Ubuntu VMs, I treat them exactly the same as physical machines and basically do this: https://blog.jdpfu.com/linsysmaint with 2018 updates to my 2011 LH article.