Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is or is not "Entry Level."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ubuntu is or is not "Entry Level."

I actually hear people say things like Ubuntu is "entry level." It's for noobs and beginners.

I have been an Ubuntu user since 8.04 Hardy Heron. I was confused at first, but by the time 8.10 Intrepid Ibex was released, I was hooked.

There are so many different distributions out there, when I was hopping, I found the primary ones like Fedora, OpenSUSE, Arch, and Debian all to be great distributions, each with their ups and downs. Then I tried some of the others like Mint, Manjaro (Mandriva), Peppermint, KDE Neon, etc. And then played around with some of the newer distribution ideas like Elementary, and Solus. Every time I like something new, I find it's available as an Ubuntu Flavor.

All roads come back to Ubuntu... some would say they all go back to Debian. But what I have found is that Debian requires a little more messing around with, than Ubuntu. Ubuntu's goal is to work out of the box, and have software work out of the box. Having tried Gentoo and Arch, I lovingly refer to Ubuntu as "Who has time for this, Linux." That is also to say that Ubuntu can both complicated and simple. It is designed for simplicity, and assists with your first steps toward Linux distributions, but also can be as extensive of an OS as most people would need.

So, the question I am going to ask, is a simple one. Why is Ubuntu still considered a noob or beginner OS?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

Re: Ubuntu is or is not "Entry Level."

I don't consider it a "noob" OS per se, just one that tends to work out of the box so new users don't have to muck with anything to have a working install. There are plenty of experienced folks that use Ubuntu. I used it for a while because I got so tired of things that didn't work. My problem is that I like to tweak and have control - Ubuntu is not really for folks like me, lol. If I am recommending a Linux distro for someone who knows nothing about Linux, it is going to probably be Linux Mint, and probably Mate`, mainly because it "looks" more like Windows, which is where more converts come from.

Ubuntu works just as well as Mint, really, but the look and feel is going to throw off a Windows user because UI works nothing like Windows. Not that it's hard, just different.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sevendogs1337 View Post
    I don't consider it a "noob" OS per se, just one that tends to work out of the box so new users don't have to muck with anything to have a working install.
    Right? Most people don't want to muck about. They just want things to work.

Quote Originally Posted by sevendogs1337 View Post
    There are plenty of experienced folks that use Ubuntu. I used it for a while because I got so tired of things that didn't work. My problem is that I like to tweak and have control - Ubuntu is not really for folks like me, lol. If I am recommending a Linux distro for someone who knows nothing about Linux, it is going to probably be Linux Mint, and probably Mate`, mainly because it "looks" more like Windows, which is where more converts come from.

Ubuntu works just as well as Mint, really, but the look and feel is going to throw off a Windows user because UI works nothing like Windows. Not that it's hard, just different.
    Yup. I have found more success with Mint (Cinnamon) and Zorin for Windows users than Ubuntu.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Hidden!

I would say that Ubuntu (and all the *ubuntu family) are for both the beginner and the experienced user; try saying that about Gentoo or Arch and I suspect you would be laughed at very loudly.

Don't forget that you can do just about anything that you can in Gentoo or Arch just as easily in Ubuntu.

I've been using Ubuntu since version 5.04 or 5.10 (can't remember which) and consider myself experienced, though perhaps not a truly advanced user, and I have tried very many other distros of just about every type, Open-Suse, Fedora, Manjaro, Antergos, Arcolinux along with others I can't now remember, and nothing I have used comes close to the ease with which I can now use Ubuntu, or in my case now, Xubuntu, as I simply can not manage the gnome desktop.

I will also add that the package management of the Debian based dostros is, in my opinion, unbeatable, but perhaps that a result of 14 years of *ubuntu use.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    or in my case now, Xubuntu, as I simply can not manage the gnome desktop.
    Ubuntu went through some difficulty with the switch from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3, and their interim idea of Unity. Gnome 2 is now MATE, and Gnome 3 is now configured to look similar to Unity. This is why I like KDE. Kubuntu is my personal flavor.

Have you given Budgie a try?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I think Xubuntu is almost as newbie-friendly as you can get! One distro (Ubuntu-based) that is designed especially for users coming from Windows, besides Zorin, is Linux Lite. It uses a highly modified Xfce desktop and it's reasonably easy on resources (but less so than Xubuntu, with all the newbie-tools added and running).

Aside from Majoaro (Arch-based, bleeding edge), there's MX-Linux, built on Debian Stable and aimed at newbies who value stability and reliability above all. Also uses the Xfce desktop and has lots of cool tools for newbies and "casual computer users."

I'll say this about the Xfce desktop: Three of the very best-for-newbies distros all use the Xfce desktop. It's also the most used desktop environment for kids' distros. That tells me a lot about it's adaptability for newcomers to desktop Linux.
    Last edited by QIII; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:50 PM. Reason: default font & size

Beans

I used ubuntu mate and had no problems. But I'll admit that I forgot I had to add support for DVDs myself. Most noob users would expect their DVD collection (if they have one still) to play without having to search the internet on how to do it which usually leads to a command line and what noob knows how or what the terminal is supposed to do or work.

In that sense the Mint distro has you covered as everything is pretty much ready to go. If you can live without or don't know how to get DVDs working in Ubuntu then everything else is just as user friendly.

But linux is like an old body of frame car. Essentially underneath it's still 4 wheels, an engine and a steering wheel, but you can stick whatever shell you like and then customize your interior so you can do what you want in there. When you realize all parts are interchangeable then Linux as a whole with hundreds of distros becomes a load simpler. But I admit that it's nicer to go into the showroom and pick the one you want and have it work straight away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I also started with Ubuntu 8.04 and I never left the Ubuntu family. Twice I went for Xubuntu or Ubuntu Mate, because of video card issues with the first Unity release and because Ubuntu 18.04 needed too much of my 8GB memory of my previous desktop. I needed that memory for ZFS and my Virtual Machines. I have to use ZFS, because in my country of residence we have a number of power fails per day and my music files (copies of CDs and LPs) got corrupted, when using ext4. Currently I boot and run ZFS + Ubuntu 19.04 minimal install as my Host OS on my new 16GB Ryzen 3 2200G.
    I'm already excited about the changes with respect to ZFS in Ubuntu 19.10, like the support of ZFS in the installer and the ZFS release 8 improvements.

My "work/hobby" all have moved to VMs:
    - Xubuntu 18.04 for the normal stuff (Browsing, WhatsApp, email, torrents etc.)
    - Ubuntu 16.04 exclusively for banking and PayPal.
    - Windows XP to play my music with TrueBass and WOW effects.
    - Ubuntu Mate 19.04 for App try-outs and experiments.

I tried many other distros often in a VM and occasionally on a second desktop. My second desktop for visiting (grand)children, a 4-core Phenom II (8GB), did run Peppermint for some time, but now I'm back to Ubuntu 18.04. I have never seen a reason to change to another distro and with the coming releases with ZFS I'm sure, I will stay on Ubuntu for the coming years. The combination Ubuntu, ZFS and Virtualbox is a killer for any bare metal distro. I have instantaneous response times and Linux systems reboot in 6-10 seconds, while using a $95 CPU, a $25 SSD and leftover HDDs (2.5" and 3.5")
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bunny9000 View Post
    I used ubuntu mate and had no problems. But I'll admit that I forgot I had to add support for DVDs myself. Most noob users would expect their DVD collection (if they have one still) to play without having to search the internet on how to do it which usually leads to a command line and what noob knows how or what the terminal is supposed to do or work.
    Doesn't VLC have DVD support built in by default?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

All Linux distros require new users to learn some basic Linux how to knowledge for a good first Linux experience.

Without a new user learning some basic Linux how to knowledge there is a good chance of a bad first Linux experience.

Windows users normally just buy a new computer with Windows installed so that part is done however there is still much that requires some basic Windows how to knowledge to properly get it set up and working.

All computer users need to learn the basic how to knowledge and maintenance skills to keep their computer updated and running properly.

My 00.02 cents.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast