Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ubuntu is or is not "Entry Level."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu is or is not "Entry Level."

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    Not all of us are running "today's modern hardware," and not all of us have machines with upgradable RAM, that's all.
    I'm still using desktops from 2007 with dual core processors and 4.0 GB DDR2 memory and mechanical hard drives.

In my case it's just a matter of picking the right Linux Distro that works on the hardware in my old outdated desktops.

I can afford a new super computer but why if what I already have works well with the Linux Distro I choose and besides it's cool running 12 year old computers.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I'm still using desktops from 2007 with dual core processors and 4.0 GB DDR2 memory and mechanical hard drives.

In my case it's just a matter of picking the right Linux Distro that works on the hardware in my old outdated desktops.

I can afford a new super computer but why if what I already have works well with the Linux Distro I choose and besides it's cool running 12 year old computers.
    One of my favorite things about Linux. Throw a copy of Xubuntu on an older computer, and watch it become usable again!
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    One of my favorite things about Linux. Throw a copy of Xubuntu on an older computer, and watch it become usable again!
    Exactly or any Linux Distro which makes that old outdated computer useful again.
    Last edited by poorguy; 4 Days Ago at 10:36 PM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    Exactly or any Linux Distro which makes that old outdated computer useful again.
    A long time ago, I made a statement about "Free" or "Open Source" software. I called it the solution for software piracy.

99% of all the people out there who have pirated copies of Photoshop, will never use the features in Photoshop that are not available in GIMP. i.e. Professional printing integration and the like. Most people just want to edit photos, and maybe play around having fun making fake images and the like.

Same goes for programs like MS Office. LibreOffice, OpenOffice, even WPS Office are great alternatives to pirating.

Even more-so for Operating Systems like Windows. You have an older PC you want to revitalize? Only 1GB of RAM, only have a 40GB HD? Throw a copy of PuppyLinux or Lubuntu on it, and watch it become useful again.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234