Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is or is not "Entry Level."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu is or is not "Entry Level."

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    Not all of us are running "today's modern hardware," and not all of us have machines with upgradable RAM, that's all.
    Artim- true, but even my 10 year-old backup machine has 16gb ram and runs Kubuntu with no problems with all it's 87 processes. Maybe you are talking about things like the Rasberry, there is definitely a place here for a cut-down minimal version of Linux for those and embedded system machines. The question was about Ubuntu being entry level and ease of use, we all seem to have strayed a bit off topic.....
    Cheers, Tony
    Asus Z270 i7 16gb ram 8.25tb GT960 TSB6205 Quad tuner 64-bit Kubuntu 19.04 Dingo & win 10 Be/FE mythtv 0.30
    Laptop Samsung NP R580 i5 nvidia linux ultimate & win 10 Homerun dual netwk tuner 55¨ Samsung ES8000

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    Perhaps you can tell me why my default install of Kubuntu is running 248 processes?
    Wow- that's a bit over the top mate... see mine processes.jpg

Tony

EDIT-
    Using the same monitor as you returns 309 for me!
    Last edited by vidtek; 1 Week Ago at 09:30 AM.
    Asus Z270 i7 16gb ram 8.25tb GT960 TSB6205 Quad tuner 64-bit Kubuntu 19.04 Dingo & win 10 Be/FE mythtv 0.30
    Laptop Samsung NP R580 i5 nvidia linux ultimate & win 10 Homerun dual netwk tuner 55¨ Samsung ES8000

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by vidtek View Post
    Wow- that's a bit over the top mate... see mine processes.jpg

Tony

EDIT-
    Using the same monitor as you returns 309 for me!
    And that's why I use Ubuntu MATE, and for around 20 processes with Manjaro MATE, that's where I play games; Manjaro is faster than Ubuntu, and the AUR has massive amounts of source code, and installing one of those programs, the system automagically compiles the program and downloads all the dependencies (no dependency hell) and gets it done very quickly.
    I finally found a great reason to dual-boot, finally, with two Linux systems, both of which have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I, too, started with 8.04, and was hooked immediately, especially using the divine GNOME 2.3 desktop. I was disgusted with Unity, but not too soon afterward, Mint put out the first MATE distribution. I quickly became annoyed with Mint, and came right back, installing MATE with a PPA, and then the Ubuntu MATE team, who are the developers of MATE themselves, put out Ubuntu MATE 14.04, and I've been with it ever since.

KDE is a process hog, BTW.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    And that's why I use Ubuntu MATE, and for around 20 processes with Manjaro MATE, that's where I play games; Manjaro is faster than Ubuntu, and the AUR has massive amounts of source code, and installing one of those programs, the system automagically compiles the program and downloads all the dependencies (no dependency hell) and gets it done very quickly.
    I finally found a great reason to dual-boot, finally, with two Linux systems, both of which have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I, too, started with 8.04, and was hooked immediately, especially using the divine GNOME 2.3 desktop. I was disgusted with Unity, but not too soon afterward, Mint put out the first MATE distribution. I quickly became annoyed with Mint, and came right back, installing MATE with a PPA, and then the Ubuntu MATE team, who are the developers of MATE themselves, put out Ubuntu MATE 14.04, and I've been with it ever since.

I am not a gamer, at least not since ditching Windows. As I said before, I really don't mind having all these processes in the background, it doesn't affect my productivity or the way I use my machine in any way at all. I use this as both my desktop and my Home Theatre machine with Mythtv, and I have not seen any performance hits as compared with the other distros I have tried and rejected. Your idea of dual-booting with another linux distro is not a bad idea, I may give it a shot too. There is enough room on my 250gb boot sdd for that and my legacy Windows 10

Linuxmint was great with KDE but once again I jumped ship when they ditched KDE, Cinnamon and Mate just don't cut the mustard for me. The Plasma desktop is just so ultra-configurable. There is no other desktop which allows the simultaneous placement of the close, minimise and maximise buttons on BOTH the left and right sides.
    This is very useful on a large screen display or projector.

Cheers, Tony.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    Perhaps you can tell me why my default install of Kubuntu is running 248 processes?

i can see plenty chromiums in there... many tabs open ?
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post

I'll have to chime in here and say that KDE is, compared to Gnome anyway, not a process "hog" at all. Maybe compared to Xfce4 but I cannot remember on Linux how much RAM Xfce4 uses. I have used Mate` so little I can't speak to it. My Arch KDE install takes ~550 at idle, even after having a ton of windows open and shutting them back down - it recovers back to around the same. Gnome always runs between 1 and 2 GB RAM.

This is meaningless if you have a lot of RAM.

I am way off-topic so will stop now
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i can see plenty chromiums in there... many tabs open ?
    You know, strangely enough, there was only one tab open. What the heck is chromium doing?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans

Chromium does that regardless of how many tabs are open. I've seen that on both Linux and FreeBSD. I don't have a technical explanation.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sevendogs1337 View Post
    I am way off-topic so will stop now
    I'm not so sure that you are. I started this thread to ask if Ubuntu was / was not considered "Entry Level."

And the topic has meandered into RAM usage between Desktop Environments.

I personally think this clearly shows how advanced the Ubuntu (and flavors) Operating System can be.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sevendogs1337 View Post
    Chromium does that regardless of how many tabs are open. I've seen that on both Linux and FreeBSD. I don't have a technical explanation.
    it does it on windows as well.

i moved my father to KDE. it was different, than the windows he was used to. however with some tweaks it was easy to make it look similar. and i promised to get him windows if he needed them. he didn't. the PC came with SUSE EL. their modified gnome interface (at the time gnome 2) was fine, however we would have to pay for access to quite out of date repositories. so we replaced it with Kubuntu.

i did the same to my wife. though we used Gnome 2/Ubuntu at first. but there were always some issues with panels and things missing, needing additional explanation etc. so on one upgrade we decided to try KDE. first i moved it to Mint, but their KDE4 didn't want to work properly. so i moved instead to Kubuntu and upgrading it through iterations all the way to 14.04 where it stayed until this year.

so for me - i would say Kubuntu is entry level. particularly for people with little PC experience. this is base don my non scientific and very small test group. father picked it up fast, my wife (with only slightly more experience in computers) picked it up well, my little kids learned it fast and moved from XP & Android to Kubuntu. My bro also moved to Kubuntu once i showed him around a bit (he used Ubuntu before at work then moved it to Kubuntu and then also decided to use it at home).

something doesn't pull me with default Ubuntu anymore. i think the old gnome was more clear as a desktop interface. so if i couldn't use Kubuntu i would prefer Xubuntu or Mate.

removing desktop from equation - i still find Ubuntu easy to use. as server system, as test system... it's very easy to install, easy to setup, easy to maintain.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast