Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is or is not "Entry Level."

Beans

Re: Ubuntu is or is not "Entry Level."

All roads come back to Ubuntu.
    That pretty much sums it up for me. I have however been dabbling a bit in Devuan just to compare performance. And I'm leaning strongly towards the KDE desktop - most likely Kubuntu. Just as you said I've found no real advantage to any other distro in spite of considerable distro-hopping since Gutsy (7.10).

Beans

I find that I have less hardware issues with ubuntu than with other distributions although I always seem to struggle with wireless cards.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by an-ordered-hole View Post
    I find that I have less hardware issues with ubuntu than with other distributions although I always seem to struggle with wireless cards.
    I do as well. Although, it's supposed to be the Kernel that detects the appropriate Hardware...
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

As someone said, spend 30 minutes with Windows, and you'll have a pretty good system. Spend 45 minutes with Linux, and you'll have a perfect system.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    As someone said, spend 30 minutes with Windows, and you'll have a pretty good system. Spend 45 minutes with Linux, and you'll have a perfect system.
    I like what you said... but "technically" I disagree.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2398456
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans

I had to laugh at this - I can spend 10 minutes with Windows and I want to throw it out the window. Was that redundant?
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

I've also been an avid distro hopper in the past after coming to Linux in 2001 with an early Red Hat, I jumped ship from Ubuntu when the unity desktop came out and went over to Mandriva as it was then. I have recently been dabbling with opensuse tumbleweed, but came a cropper when trying to install Mythtv which is an absolute must. I really bemoan the demise of Mythbuntu, that was the best of all possible worlds for me in Linuxworld.

I really like KDE and the plasma desktop, none of the other window managers come anywhere near it's functionality and productivity gains I experience with it. The downside is of course the occasional brainfarts the devs get with their take on security-the recent debacle over Dolphin's root capability is a prime example of "do before thinking about your user base". Thankfully they have now had a change of heart and it retains the no.1 spot for me after dabbling with others recently.

Kubuntu is the clear winner for me. With KDE and the Plasma desktop, the apt repository system with synaptic and the ease of install for Mythtv it is the best of all possible worlds. I am unsure why others on here are so concerned about the number of background processes, with today's modern hardware and masses of cheap ram, why should that even be an issue? I have 87 processes running, and my machine runs as smooth as silk and is lightning fast.

Cheers, Tony.
    Asus Z270i7 16gb rm 8tb GT1660 Haupp Quad tunr Kubuntu Jammy/Win 11 Be/FE mythtv 0.32Homerun dual netwk tunr 55¨ Smsng QN95B55" Lap Smsng NP R580 i5 nvidia linux Ultimate/Win 10

Beans

Not all of us are running "today's modern hardware," and not all of us have machines with upgradable RAM, that's all.

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vidtek View Post
    I have 87 processes running, and my machine runs as smooth as silk and is lightning fast.
    Perhaps you can tell me why my default install of Kubuntu is running 248 processes?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hello Shibblet, if you need support please start your own thread in a support forum and not in someone else's that is also in a chat forum.

Thanks
    Last edited by wildmanne39; August 11th, 2019 at 12:37 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast