Thread: Xubuntu refuses to log me in

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Xubuntu refuses to log me in

Very strange. I fired up my desktop last night, it brought up the login screen, and I input my password. Then it goes to a black screen with an unblinking cursor in the top left of the screen for about a second and a half, then it takes me back to the login screen. It doesn't say login incorrect, Caps Lock is on, or anything like that. I've tried inputting my password six times in a row and still find myself at the same login screen. I shut down for the night and tried again in the morning, but still getting the same thing, it's still being a jackass. Can anyone tell me what to do about it?
    Last edited by peyre; 1 Week Ago at 02:58 PM.

Beans

Re: Xubuntu refuses to log me in

Sounds like a problem with starting the GUI or the Desktop Environment. Try logging in on a virtual terminal (hit Ctrl-Alt and a function key between F1 and F6, type the user name, enter, than the password (is not echoed, not even asterisks)). You should get a shell and be able to check the logs in /var/log/syslog and /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

Holger

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Also add this if you would.
    Code:
    ls -lah | grep -i Xauthority
    And;
    Code:
    sudo ls -lah /tmp
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well! Sorry for this one guys, looks like this was a real tookie mistake. It seems I filled my drive with an enormous torrent download. I seem to be back up and running now after deleting some files.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Good to hear, All's well that ends well.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags