Thread: Are there any advantages to using non-GNU command-line utilities?

Beans

Are there any advantages to using non-GNU command-line utilities?

I often hear that GNU coreutils are bloat, and that opting instead for Plan 9 from User Space is somehow less "harmful." I've often heard the same about bash, that UNIX users should instead opt for mksh.

Are these just bad memes, or is there some merit to using less feature-rich programs?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Are there any advantages to using non-GNU command-line utilities?

use what works for you. if you need features or you might need features at some point then go with "bloat". if basic is good enough, then use basic.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

Honestly, in these days of very large disk drives, "bloat" is really not an issue. All of Ubuntu can fit inside a 10 GB partition.

People who talk about "bloat" nowadays are more likely trying to show off.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

indeed bloat on control units, controllers, electronic i could understand, but on desktop PC...

Beans
    Hidden!

I use IceWM, it predates Open Source. (By less than a year.)

Things open and close instantaneously. On Antix, it is even faster.

Bloat is the thing that makes things slower. To know how slow something really is, you have to compare it to something faster. So yes, bloat always exists. It's nice to get rid of it, so you don't have to wait for things. Computers are so fast now-- that having to wait just feels silly. Lighter software makes tasks feel faster. Of course not everybody cares about that, but that doesn't mean it's a silly thing to want.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

For me, SSD's have made much more of a difference than the software they contain.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

i7 + ssd - bloat runs really fast on my system but I still do not allow it and roll my own to insure this.

I have seen these core packages offered here and there. I get the impression they are more for builders of computer controlled devices like maybe a robot and not really meant to be used for a full blown operating system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

we once had control units. they usually have very low memory (compared to PC or even arduino or similar boards). they then had to add plenty of languages in that small memory (seem they added more that was originally anticipated). result was crashing control units at consumers, recalls and replacements and all sorts of organised chaos. i bet they wished they could have just used a program with less bloat