Thread: Which version the best for me?

Beans

Which version the best for me?

I have a Core 2 Duo (2GHz) with 2GB RAM installed on it. I was wondering if someone can suggest the best version to get for this laptop. I have had problems with the low RAM using Windows 7 on it recently and thought maybe Ubuntu would be a better option for me.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Which version the best for me?

I have a lenovo thinkpad sl510 and run *ubuntu 18.04 LTS on it using either the XFCE (Xubuntu) or LXDE (Lubuntu) desktop on it. It's specs as I list them in QA-testing are (c2d-t6570, 2gb ram, i915) so you can compare if (cpu & graphic card wise). In my case I have both installed (two desktops) because I couldn't decide which I prefer - but I suggest you use one or the other (there are drawbacks to loading two onto your machine.. that I think are worth it for me)

As for which is lightest, the programs you intend using have an impact too. If you intend using Qt based apps I would suggest a more modern Lubuntu (eg. 19.04 or the 2019-April release) which is not a LTS or long-term-support release so will need to be upgraded to 19.10 in a few months (why I didn't suggest it at the start), but if you're careful and use apps that use libraries already in memory your limited ram will be less of an issue (I still on occasion use laptops with 1gb only of ram; in that case I'm more careful with desktop & program choice). This change of desktops (in Lubuntu) might also be a reason to choose Xubuntu (it remains XFCE with the differences being internal; ie library change from GTK+2 to GTK+3 thus users can ignore it)

Both LXDE & XFCE are lighter desktops (graphical user interface) than GNOME (which is the default for 18.04 LTS). As for which you'll be happy with only you can decide. If you have the bandwidth, I'd suggest downloading both, writing them to two thumb-drives, booting them (one at a time) and trying them out.

To download Ubuntu flavors (inc. Xubuntu and Lubuntu) - https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours

For information on trying before you install - https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutoria...-you-install#0

The try before you install works with flavors to, and I'd not suggest GNOME on your machine unless you're more patient than I am. Only you can decide which feels 'right' for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I would recommend Xubuntu 18.04 or Peppermint 10, the sexy sister of Lubuntu. Both are efficient with memory and both are boringly reliable. I used both on a 2003 Pentium 4 with 2 GB of DDR and they worked fine. Both systems are based on Ubuntu 18.04.
    Peppermint looks great out of the box and it looks like Windows 7. Xubuntu looks very simple out of the box, but it has many possibilities to change its look and feel to something great or even spectacular, but that will require some serious studying of some YouTube videos.

Look at some YouTube review videos.
    Last edited by lammert-nijhof; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:43 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

you can chose any version you want as long as GPU can handle it.

The issue with windows 7 is that it often scans disk for malicious files. this is what is slowing it down. if you check the task manager you will see that there is actually free ram available, but the disk is likely occupied by the silly scan programs. silly, because they scan old stuff they shouldn't have to rescan. and there is no way to turn off the process, but to let is through the scan. after that it will work normally.

despite all that linux seems more efficient in ram usage. and you will get about an extra 200 or 250 Mb ram with Xubuntu and a bit more with Lubuntu compare to windows 7. however as i said it is likely not the ram that is slowing it down. Lubuntu and Xubuntu are also much easier on the GPU usage. so if GPU can't handle say KDE (kubuntu) then these two will handle it just fine.

additionally linux file systems such as ext4 do not get nearly as much fragmentation as NTFS on windows. so defragmanting them is not realy necessary.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla