Thread: Unity, or else ...

Beans

Unity, or else ...

When I started using Linux, I choose Ubuntu. Starting with 14.04, I liked Unity and got used to it.
    The current version of Ubuntu uses Gnome 3 as it's DE. I don't like it, can't get used to it. And I foundout I'm not the only one...
    Of course, there are alternatives.
    1. I could run Unity on 18.04. Seems simple enough, but how many people do that? Anyone?
    2. I ran Lubuntu on a few older machines, and that looked fine. Is it good enough for running a modern computer, or are there things lacking, because of the scope of being a light-weight distribution?
    3. Kubuntu could be another alternative, because a lot of my friends have KDE as their DE. Granted, on other distro's, but... There I have the fear of having an ald-fashioned UI. Is that justified?

Yes, I know, the pinned article https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2415676 "What is the best ...", I read it, didn't really help.
    I need some good subjective advice.

Beans

Re: Unity, or else ...

Yes that is a nice link, DuckHook did it right.

What about Ubuntu Mate? Its gnome2 and has Unity interface.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by jan-80 View Post
    3. Kubuntu could be another alternative, because a lot of my friends have KDE as their DE. Granted, on other distro's, but... There I have the fear of having an ald-fashioned UI. Is that justified?
    Not really, no.

I really wasn't comfortable with Gnome 3's constant removal of configuration options and it's pretty buggy - although many bugs have now been fixed by Canonical since they adopted it as their default desktop environment - and I didn't really like Unity that much, so I switched to KDE.

There are criticisms that you can level at KDE, but being old-fashioned really isn't one of them. It's very customisable, so you should be able to make it behave in a way that you're comfortable with.

When you're considering a switch of desktop environment, the best bet is generally to try out a bunch of them as Live images or VMs and have a play with them. Minimal effort, and you can just blow them away when you're finished with them. I personally like KDE, but Mate is a popular choice. I've got Cinnamon on a laptop, and that's fine, too.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

I like unity also. The light weight DEs are just as good for everything you want to do, but are just lighter to run on weaker hardware. The best DE for you is the one you like to use the most, like how it looks and don't have to search everywhere to find something. I will be sad if unity goes away, but will get used to another DE.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have Unity installed on 18.04 and I prefer it. But for a few months now I have been using Gnome 3 shell on Weyland because I realized that all my knowledge of how to do things in Ubuntu would be old fashioned to new users of Ubuntu and therefore next to useless.

I have not found any member of the Ubuntu family to be lacking in anything. Besides, we can install and remove any application we need or don't need. There is a version of Ubuntu that does a minimal install and lacks most everything. This is so that we can have the OS and the applications that we want and none of the applications that we don't want.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

KDE Plasma is the most advanced desktop available and Kubuntu 19.10 is amazingly good: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/
    Enlightenment desktop on Ubuntu: https://github.com/batden

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm an Xfce fanboy, in part because you can make it look like any desktop you want! Move the panel with launchers to Vertical on the left, horizontal on top, bottom, or right in the middle of the screen. Make it bigger, smaller, add Compton for eye candy effects if you want, whatever. But it's lightweight and fast. Not nearly as resource-hungry as Gnome, which needs two zillion and twelve terrabytes all by itself (okay, a slight exaggeration), and a lot less than KDE. On a par with Mate, actually, though on Xubuntu it needs less RAM than Mate.

If you're looking for something in-between LXDE (or LXQT) and Gnome, Xfce is a good, versatile, fast choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

1. I could run Unity on 18.04. Seems simple enough, but how many people do that? Anyone?
    There are a group of community members who continue to use unity. Some Ubuntu developers and others volunteer their time to maintain the Unity desktop. Among this group are those hoping the create an official Unity flavor .

https://discourse.ubuntu.com/t/ubunt...ject-wiki/2553
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors