Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saying goodbye to Canonical

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Saying goodbye to Canonical

I was unable to compile GTK2 so I could compile my go-to music player, Aqualung.

I knew it was on the AUR, so I installed Manjaro MATE. It is faster, and runs fewer daemons at idle. It did git the Aqualung source code, and compiled it perfectly.

I have been slightly annoyed at Canonical, and I love MATE; I was a fervent fan, and supporter of Ubuntu MATE, and I will continue my support to MATE development.

Manjaro is an Arch derivative, but all updates are curated and tested for stability, so an update is unlikely to bork your system.

Hate to say it, but I do like Manjaro over Ubuntu, and I started with 8.04, so it was not a decision made lightly.

Not trying to get other 'buntu users to switch over, but do burn a live USB and check it out.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Saying goodbye to Canonical

oldrocker99;

Understandable, one uses the tools that work the best for the use case.

IF you leave us, you will be soooo sorely missed.

Happy trails to you
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I'm going to keep logging in; just because I have come to prefer Manjaro doesn't mean I'm going to leave the forums I've used for 11 years. I have much more knowledge of Ubuntu than Arch-based systems, and I like to answer questions and offer advice, just as I have been doing.

No abandonment here!

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I'm going to keep logging in; just because I have come to prefer Manjaro doesn't mean I'm going to leave the forums I've used for 11 years. I have much more knowledge of Ubuntu than Arch-based systems, and I like to answer questions and offer advice, just as I have been doing.

No abandonment here!
    I enjoyed Manjaro Deepin for a while , my experience with that community was a good one. Learning about a different package system was worth it.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'm going to check out Manjaro Gnome when the next stable is released. I read a good review saying how much faster and with a lot less services Manjaro has over Ubuntu.
    I use to have Manjaro XFCE for quite some time along with Xubuntu. Didn't need them both so I dumped Manjaro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Good! It is faster, and runs somewhere around half the number of daemons that Ubuntu does.

Don't get me wrong. I treasure the time I've had with my discovery of Linux with Ubuntu, and the fantastic community of these forums, and I'll keep visiting every day.

Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Just curious

Why did you choose Manjaro over Arch?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    Good! It is faster, and runs somewhere around half the number of daemons that Ubuntu does.

Don't get me wrong. I treasure the time I've had with my discovery of Linux with Ubuntu, and the fantastic community of these forums, and I'll keep visiting every day.
    It appears we started Ubuntu about the same time, oldrocker. I too started with version 8. Its like an old friend. I can't see leaving it totally...

I have four partitions just for Linuxes and I'm sure Ubuntu will remain somewhere, but Manjaro Gnome has gotten my attention.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm very curious about these daemons running. I use Xubuntu and simply unchecked services I don't need at startup, so I guess I have fewer daemons running anyway, but I've read that Ubuntu has 90 of them going, while Manjaro has fewer than 50. I mean, if all you have to do to speed up Ubu or Xubu is to reduce the number of daemons, how do I do that? And - no offense - why doesn't everyone?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    And - no offense - why doesn't everyone?
    i have a same question. if they are not needed then why are they running. if they are needed, then it means some things are missing in Manjaro.

Then again i remember Chrunchbang linux (XFCE, Debian) doing circles arround Lubuntu or Xubuntu. as i recall it used 50-80 MB ram less than Xubuntu.

also i decided qmmp to be the media player of my choice. i use the QT version of the interface (the simple user interface), not the skinned (winamp like) interface. it made sense on the Kubuntu install. It looks good on Win 10 as well.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast