Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Saying goodbye to Canonical

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Saying goodbye to Canonical

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    Which is a wise thing to do; I personally have never used a rolling release, and, actually, Manjaro hasn't had many updates in the past 5 days, and right now it's compiling about 10 FOSS games. Now it's in the 2nd hour...

[EDIT]Well, most of the compilations failed. They're available as packages, anyway, and they sure take a lot less time to install.
    A lot of Arch/Manjaro users have had compilation problems. The solution was to use a command to downgrade gcc, which is
    Code:
    downgrade [package name]
    (sudo isn't needed) and no problems have I had since.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

For KDE enthusiasts who are thinking about the same move oldrocker99 is making (moving to Arch-based), consider Chakra. It's actually a fork of Arch (instead of a derivative or spin) and has a much smaller user base, so be aware of these limitations, but it implements KDE very well.

I have myriad distros on a bunch of VMs and find no need to prefer one over another. Frankly, the whole Linux-sphere is awesome, no matter which distro one settles on.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I have myriad distros on a bunch of VMs and find no need to prefer one over another. Frankly, the whole Linux-sphere is awesome, no matter which distro one settles on.
    I agree. I think of myself as a Linux user, not someobody who's loyal to any particular distro. And I think it's better that way. Sometimes distros die, or they change into something that isn't like what someone has been used to. If you're comfortable using several different distros it can really make things a lot easier for you when it's time to make a switch.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

difference between distros seems smaller than difference between windows and linux. so it is not that hard to switch (if necessary). particularly to a good desktop which usually has all commands in a nice GUI.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    +1

It saddens me to see discussions about loyalty. I don't understand the point. We use what we enjoy, suits our needs, or just to have fun checking out something new or different.

Chakra is nice, even though I normally do not use KDE.

ArcoLinux and MX Linux are also worth looking into, in my opinion.

Am currently testing Manjaro with Xfce and have to say it is very nice.
    Last edited by Rubi1200; 1 Week Ago at 11:14 AM.

Beans

MX Linux are also worth looking into, in my opinion.
    This is one of the few where the installer they use won't recognize LVM logical volumes, so it's not possible to install using LVM which is what I use. (That was a year or so ago, so it's possible they added this capability.) I put it in a VM instead, and yes, it has some nice features.

Since Manjaro is being discussed here, I installed Manjaro MATE in 2015. I find it to be a stable OS and always liked it (along with Manjaro GNOME and XFCE, which are also on one or more of our computers). Attractive out of the box. The rolling release model makes it ideal for controlling the multiboot systems which I have. But I still use Ubuntu every day. I appreciate its no-fuss software updating system and reliability. It's like owning 2 or 3 cars - sometimes you drive one, sometimes another.

With Manjaro you better read their Stable Updates announcement before doing the really big upgrades as special steps may be needed to avoid problems. To reliably install Manjaro on UEFI systems using LVM, I had to use their more complex "Manjaro Architect" installer, not the standard one (Calamares) which failed to complete the job.
    Last edited by Dennis N; 1 Week Ago at 01:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    With Manjaro you better read their Stable Updates announcement before doing the really big upgrades as special steps may be needed to avoid problems.
    Same for Arch -- it's always a good idea, before bringing in updates, to take a quick look at the "Latest News" section on this page: https://www.archlinux.org/

As you can see, there was nothing requiring manual intervention for almost a year before the notice on June 27. Often, the notices are about packages that I don't even have installed here, so I don't have to do anything special. But I think it's important to check, to make that part of the normal routine, whether you're running Arch or something Arch-based (like Manjaro).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I couple of days ago I downloaded installed "manjaro-gnome-18.1.0-rc7-testing-x86_64.iso". I wanted to install the newest Gnome from Manjaro. Being testing I get updates daily. I don't mine, easy to change if need be.
    At first wasn't sure I would like it, but since using it for a few days, I see the benfits. The review I read mentioned how less the resources are from Ubuntu. Right they were. Xubuntu was around 60+, Manjaro Gnome = 28!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Well, it looks as though I'm back. Manjaro is very likable, however:
    1. Many installed programs have no icons.This was the main deal-breaker.
    2. Pamac, the equivalent of Synaptic, is tricky to use, and must be restarted; there's no "back" button.
    3. I'm back to 18.04, and will be able to compile GTK2, simply because I was able to before.

So...18.04, where I'm comfortable, and MATE 1.20.1, and it's still fast enuff for me.

I may still dual-boot. I may.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Had a few friends give it whirl also, and found it was not to their liking, but Arch was. (Yep you guessed it >>> I had to install it for them though)
    All you stated is easily overcome with a little time and usage. (I didn't dump Ubuntu until about a year of use with Arch)
    BTW I still test it though!
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast