Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Saying goodbye to Canonical

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Saying goodbye to Canonical

The link below explains some of the services to remove, and why. In order to compare ubuntu to manjaro we would need to compare apt show. Its too early for me to comment on what's missing.
    https://www.linux.com/learn/cleaning...tartup-process

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    Just curious

Why did you choose Manjaro over Arch?
    Well, Manjaro is as user-friendly as Ubuntu, and I'm not, well, smart or patient enough to spend hours and hours installing Arch.

And Manjaro is well-supported by the forums; not as extensive as these forums, but I have had all my questions, so far, by doing what I did ad do with Ubuntu: searching these forums, or asking Google,

I'm still running Arch, of course. Manjaro devs don't send upgrades out until they're stable and bug-free, as do the Ubuntu devs. Manjaro is very unlikely to bork the system any more than Ubuntu. Arch is notorious for upgrades borking the system, and Manjaro is not.
    Last edited by oldrocker99; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:56 PM.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Arch is notorious for upgrades borking the system, and Manjaro is not.
    As a five year user of Arch I've not seen any breakage in that period of time. (It's my daily driver)
    Glad to hear your still going to be around though.
    EDIT: @ oldrocker99 give me a PM when you get a chance.
    Last edited by 1fallen; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:55 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags

Beans

Interestingly enough, I switched from 'buntu back to Arch a couple of weeks ago. Been using Arch on and off for several years. Nothing wrong with Ubuntu, I just felt too confined - Arch gives me more of the ability to customize. Never once had an issue with Arch as a daily driver. The only "issue" I have ever had was install using UEFI - I could not for the life of me get the system to boot. Finally found a fix in the wiki that showed how to move a directory to another path if you have this issue. Running vanilla Gnome and a few tools, all is well.
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.”

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    Well, Manjaro is as user-friendly as Ubuntu
    Thats very interesting, Arch base + friendly. I am a frequent user of Arch doc's, but not Arch.

Just for comparison I have a i3 build, with no apps open, code "ps -A" shows 89 processes running.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm still running Arch, of course. Manjaro devs don't send upgrades out until they're stable and bug-free, as do the Ubuntu devs. Manjaro is very unlikely to bork the system any more than Ubuntu. Arch is notorious for upgrades borking the system, and Manjaro is not.
    the OS is well rated in detailed reviews and the idea behind it and philosophy is very good.

kind of similar to OpenSUSE tumbleweed. but it all depends how well devs catch the errors before they get to users. QA is important in any product (or service).

in windows thousands of testers used to catch small stuff. then MS decided it would be a good idea to fire them and let the users (those that wanted it) themselves be testers. since then the quality of os has been dropping steadily. new upgrades in win10 rolling "distro" add new features but there were also disastrous flaws introduced.

really wish there was a standard linux desktop and this kind of rolling distro (light and well maintained). think of what could be achieved in terms of linux on desktop.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Rolling release would scare me off, actually. I have tried a few r-r distros, and watched their forums closely... and "bricked after updating" threads were far too common. So I stick with LTS until they reach EOL before I upgrade to the next LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    Rolling release would scare me off, actually. I have tried a few r-r distros, and watched their forums closely... and "bricked after updating" threads were far too common. So I stick with LTS until they reach EOL before I upgrade to the next LTS.
    Which is a wise thing to do; I personally have never used a rolling release, and, actually, Manjaro hasn't had many updates in the past 5 days, and right now it's compiling about 10 FOSS games. Now it's in the 2nd hour...

[EDIT]Well, most of the compilations failed. They're available as packages, anyway, and they sure take a lot less time to install.
    Last edited by oldrocker99; 1 Week Ago at 09:58 PM.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    Which is a wise thing to do; I personally have never used a rolling release, and, actually, Manjaro hasn't had many updates in the past 5 days, and right now it's compiling about 10 FOSS games. Now it's in the 2nd hour...
    I spent some time with PCLinuxOS and Sabayon (a couple of rolling-release distros), and then some Arch derivatives (never tried Manjaro, though), and then Arch. Arch Linux, over time, has proven to be easily the most "stable" rolling-release distro I've used. But I always glance at the Arch home page for news before bringing in updates. I do this every time. Every now and then, manual intervention is required, and they explain exactly what to do. So I haven't had an update bork an Arch system yet, knock on wood.

But another thing I do now, if it's a rolling-release distro, I'll avoid KDE Plasma and GNOME 3. I'll use Xfce instead, or something else that doesn't see a lot of changes. Or I'll go with only a window manager. This approach has worked out really well for me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    But another thing I do now, if it's a rolling-release distro, I'll avoid KDE Plasma and GNOME 3. I'll use Xfce instead, or something else that doesn't see a lot of changes. Or I'll go with only a window manager. This approach has worked out really well for me.

that make sense.

Kubuntu 14.04 could not be upgraded to 16.04. and not a rolling release...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/...eNotes/Kubuntu

still not fixed, it seems it never will be.

14.04 LTS to 16.04 LTS upgrade

WARNING: LTS to LTS upgrade to Xerus is currently problematic and should not be attempted. Please install a fresh copy of 16.04 instead. To prevent messages about upgrading, change Prompt=lts to Prompt=normal or Prompt=never in the /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades file.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast