Thread: copied 18.04 server VM now no network

Beans

copied 18.04 server VM now no network

Hi All

Hopefully someone can help me here... I am running a number of VMs on an UnRAID host. However I had a failure and have had to copy the VMs onto a new host. While the 14.04 VMs have all worked fine... the 18.04 machines run but have no network connectivity.

I have been told this is because the MAC address may have changed - but while there is a lot of information on here I cant find anything which had helped yet.

When I try "ifconfig -a', I get an adapter called ens3 and lo... I was expecting to see something like eth0 / eth1 etc.

Anyway some posts suggested changing /etc/network/interfaces - which tells me that netplan(5) is now used - anyway, I seem to be going round and round in circles.

I am close to having to reinstall and reconfiguring five 18.04 multi-site webhosts which will take forever... is there a way to reset the default netwok settings so these hosts will get a DHCP address from the router as they used to do on my last host?

I am no expert but could do with a pointer if possible.

Can anyone offer some pointers?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: copied 18.04 server VM now no network

Netplan is used in 18.04.
    Device names change based on the device driver used.
    The hypervisor used controls which network adapter/device is presented to each guest.

Which hypervisor are you using? This is definitely a virtualization question, BTW.

Some hypervisors make moving between different VM hosts really easy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thread moved to Virtualisation a more appropriate sub-forum.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Netplan is used in 18.04.
    Which hypervisor are you using? This is definitely a virtualization question, BTW.
    Thanks TheFu... as far as I know UnRAID uses KVM as its hypervisor. On my Windows VMs (which are all working) it has the option "Hyper-V" yes or no? These are all set to yes... but this option isnt present in the VM Manager for the Ubuntu images.

Beans

Thanks @wildmanne39 for moving

Beans

Thumbs up Re: copied 18.04 server VM now no network <SOLVED>

Hi All

After speaking with a friend who is Ubuntu conversant I have managed to sort this out...

I logged in to the server locally and searched in the /etc/netplan directory... on my machine there was a file called 50-cloud-init.yaml which contained the following code;

Code:
    network:
          ethertnets:
                 enp1s0:
                       addresses: []
                       dhcp4: true
          version: 2
    So, he told me to change the name of the adapter (enp1s0) to match the adapter name from:
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    (ens3)... I did this and saved the file and then ran:
    Code:
    netplan apply
    After doing this it was all OK again and after a reboot it was still all OK... so fingers crossed its good from here on.

I thought I'd share this in case anyone else has the same issue.

Thanks