Thread: Firefox videos play with very slow audio

Beans

Firefox videos play with very slow audio

Most web videos play fine for me in Firefox. Occasionally on Twitter I'll come across a video that plays with the audio track at very slow speeds like this one: https://twitter.com/ForTheRuleOfLaw/...49832424202241

I've gone through the obvious suggestions at Firefox Support. I've cleared the cache and disabled uBlock Origin and Ghostery all to no avail. A Google search doesn't bring up other postings about this issue.

I installed google-chrome-stable from the Google repository; it does not have this problem. Neither does chromium.

I'm using Firefox 68.0.1 on Kubuntu 19.04.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; July 30th, 2019 at 09:37 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Firefox videos play with very slow audio

68.0.1 with uBlock running: plays just fine here on Xubuntu 18.04. I assume that you already tried an older kernel?

Beans

No, I haven't. Maybe that's the problem. It's strange that it's limited to certain videos though.

Update: Dropped back from 5.0.0-21 to 5.0.0-20. No change. Now I get the broken-video graphic from Twitter, though I got that occasionally on the newer kernel as well.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; July 30th, 2019 at 09:53 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Most web videos play fine for me in Firefox. Occasionally on Twitter I'll come across a video that plays with the audio track at very slow speeds like this one: https://twitter.com/ForTheRuleOfLaw/...49832424202241
    Plays fine here with the latest Firefox Quantum 68.0.1. I believe that Firefox will use system FFmpeg for playback with some media files and this my be the issue on your system. FWIW I have a system install of the latest git FFmpeg here but I suspect a fully kitted-out version 4 and above would be equally as capable in this regard...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Problem persisted on three separate installations of Firefox with Kubuntu 19.04. Switched to Brave Browser which works fine.