Thread: professional codecs not playing on ubuntu

Beans

professional codecs not playing on ubuntu

i'm using davinci resolve on ubuntu kxstudio and am having as hard time playing back anything but lower quality files. i can play back mp4 exports fine on vlc and parole but the only player i seem to be able to get to play professional codecs (like dnxhd, dnxhr, grass valley hqx, goprocineform) is ffplay, which is not the most convenient play. seems to work great, though. anyone know of a solution to get these codecs to be accessible more generally in the system?

thanks,
    babag

Beans

Re: professional codecs not playing on ubuntu

Don't have any of those codecs lying around but grabbed a dnxhd sample from grass valley site, works fine in mpv.
    I'd suspect any file that plays in ffplay will play in mpv.
    In Ubuntu repos or better builds for some Ubuntu releases here
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; July 30th, 2019 at 11:37 PM.

Beans

thanks, mc4man.

you've confirmed what i was told on the blackmagic forum as well as what i've found in my brief experience. tried mpv with all of the various things i output from davinci resolve and they all seem to be handled just fine by mpv. and, btw, how'd you get all of that great info displaying onscreen? or, was it just part of the colorbars file?

thanks again,
    babag

Beans

The overlay is a built-in lua script, to get a timed (about 4 sec) display hit the i key, to toggle on/off hit shift+i
    (- additional timing info shown is using some resample options like --video-sync=display-resample in cli.

Beans

cool! thanks.