Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Image Size in Window

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Beans
    22

    Image Size in Window

    Hi,
    I have installed Ubuntu 18.04.2 within Virtualbox. Host system is Windows 10. All seem to work fine except that the Ubuntu image is stuck in size. I can drag the corner of the window to make it bigger but it just creates a border around the image which stays the same size. Same thing happens when I go full screen, same size image with a bigger border. I tried installing "Insert guest additional CD image" and thought I had but, it made no difference. I then tried installing it again and got the following error message:

    Unable to insert the virtual optical disk C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the machine Testing.Could not mount the media/drive 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).
    Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
    Component: ConsoleWrap
    Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
    Callee: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}

    I take it this means the the installation has failed so any advice would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    26,816
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: Image Size in Window

    Thread moved to Virtualisation a more appropriate sub-forum.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Beans
    970

    Re: Image Size in Window

    The guest addition iso is probably already mounted, just unmount (eject) it and try again. Have you assigned #of cores, max rez and so on?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Beans
    22

    Re: Image Size in Window

    Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    Have you assigned #of cores, max rez and so on?
    Many thanks for the quick reply, but can you elaborate please?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    I think I'm here! Maybe?
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Image Size in Window

    If it is already mounted you may be able to find the guest additions virtual CD in Windows explorer (if that's what they still call it) and find the appropriate version of VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe file and run it as administrator with a right click.

    You must also be sure that the additions CD version is exactly the same as your VBox version.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South of the Maple Trees
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: Image Size in Window

    You can download the guest additions ISO here. https://blogs.oracle.com/joshis/virt...s-iso-download First open Virtualbox, At the top, click Help, then click about to get your proper version number, so you can download the correct ISO.

    Quote Originally Posted by merlot160 View Post
    Many thanks for the quick reply, but can you elaborate please?
    To set RAM, # of CPUs, click on your VM listed to the left to highlight, then click Settings, then click System on the left and you'll see a tab for Motherboard where you can change the amount of RAM and a tab for Processor where you can set how many of your physical CPU cores can be used by the VM.

    Also, click Display over to the left, while in Settings, and make sure Enable 3D is checked.

    If you're having any troubles finding these, then let me know. I don't mind taking some screenshots or making a screen record and loading it on YouTube.
    Last edited by uRock; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:41 PM. Reason: formatting

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Beans
    22

    Re: Image Size in Window

    Many thanks for the replies.

    Explorer could not find it but it appears to be mounted as it is showing under Storage/IDE controller in Vbox. There is also an icon at the bottom of Ubuntu and if I hover over it I get the path to the ISO file which is C:/Progamme Files/Oracle. I cannot see how to check the version that installed or how to eject or uninstall it. I have looked at file properties but there is no version number. I have VirtualBox 6.0.10 and have now gone to the link and downloaded the matching Vboxguestadditions.iso Do I simply delete the one in the Oracle folder and move this one over?

    In Vbox, CPU is set to 2 and RAM is 2GB. Video Memory is max at 128MB and 3D acceleration is enabled. I have not changed any of the Ubuntu settings

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Beans
    970

    Re: Image Size in Window

    it appears to be mounted as it is showing under Storage/IDE controller in Vbox.
    That is it, right click on it and remove (eject). Then install the new, do not manually mount it. If that trick does not work, then it can be installed using the command line.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Beans
    970

    Re: Image Size in Window


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    South of the Maple Trees
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: Image Size in Window

    Quote Originally Posted by merlot160 View Post
    Many thanks for the replies.

    Explorer could not find it but it appears to be mounted as it is showing under Storage/IDE controller in Vbox. There is also an icon at the bottom of Ubuntu and if I hover over it I get the path to the ISO file which is C:/Progamme Files/Oracle. I cannot see how to check the version that installed or how to eject or uninstall it. I have looked at file properties but there is no version number. I have VirtualBox 6.0.10 and have now gone to the link and downloaded the matching Vboxguestadditions.iso Do I simply delete the one in the Oracle folder and move this one over?

    In Vbox, CPU is set to 2 and RAM is 2GB. Video Memory is max at 128MB and 3D acceleration is enabled. I have not changed any of the Ubuntu settings
    Yes, move it over and delete the old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •