Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image Size in Window

Beans

Image Size in Window

Hi,
    I have installed Ubuntu 18.04.2 within Virtualbox. Host system is Windows 10. All seem to work fine except that the Ubuntu image is stuck in size. I can drag the corner of the window to make it bigger but it just creates a border around the image which stays the same size. Same thing happens when I go full screen, same size image with a bigger border. I tried installing "Insert guest additional CD image" and thought I had but, it made no difference. I then tried installing it again and got the following error message:

Unable to insert the virtual optical disk C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso into the machine Testing.Could not mount the media/drive 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (VERR_PDM_MEDIA_LOCKED).
    Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
    Component: ConsoleWrap
    Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
    Callee: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}

I take it this means the the installation has failed so any advice would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Image Size in Window

Thread moved to Virtualisation a more appropriate sub-forum.

Beans

The guest addition iso is probably already mounted, just unmount (eject) it and try again. Have you assigned #of cores, max rez and so on?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    Have you assigned #of cores, max rez and so on?
    Many thanks for the quick reply, but can you elaborate please?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If it is already mounted you may be able to find the guest additions virtual CD in Windows explorer (if that's what they still call it) and find the appropriate version of VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe file and run it as administrator with a right click.

You must also be sure that the additions CD version is exactly the same as your VBox version.

Beans

You can download the guest additions ISO here. https://blogs.oracle.com/joshis/virt...s-iso-download First open Virtualbox, At the top, click Help, then click about to get your proper version number, so you can download the correct ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by merlot160 View Post
    Many thanks for the quick reply, but can you elaborate please?
    To set RAM, # of CPUs, click on your VM listed to the left to highlight, then click Settings, then click System on the left and you'll see a tab for Motherboard where you can change the amount of RAM and a tab for Processor where you can set how many of your physical CPU cores can be used by the VM.

Also, click Display over to the left, while in Settings, and make sure Enable 3D is checked.

If you're having any troubles finding these, then let me know. I don't mind taking some screenshots or making a screen record and loading it on YouTube.
    Last edited by uRock; July 30th, 2019 at 09:41 PM. Reason: formatting
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Many thanks for the replies.

Explorer could not find it but it appears to be mounted as it is showing under Storage/IDE controller in Vbox. There is also an icon at the bottom of Ubuntu and if I hover over it I get the path to the ISO file which is C:/Progamme Files/Oracle. I cannot see how to check the version that installed or how to eject or uninstall it. I have looked at file properties but there is no version number. I have VirtualBox 6.0.10 and have now gone to the link and downloaded the matching Vboxguestadditions.iso Do I simply delete the one in the Oracle folder and move this one over?

In Vbox, CPU is set to 2 and RAM is 2GB. Video Memory is max at 128MB and 3D acceleration is enabled. I have not changed any of the Ubuntu settings

Beans

it appears to be mounted as it is showing under Storage/IDE controller in Vbox.
    That is it, right click on it and remove (eject). Then install the new, do not manually mount it. If that trick does not work, then it can be installed using the command line.

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by merlot160 View Post
    Many thanks for the replies.

Explorer could not find it but it appears to be mounted as it is showing under Storage/IDE controller in Vbox. There is also an icon at the bottom of Ubuntu and if I hover over it I get the path to the ISO file which is C:/Progamme Files/Oracle. I cannot see how to check the version that installed or how to eject or uninstall it. I have looked at file properties but there is no version number. I have VirtualBox 6.0.10 and have now gone to the link and downloaded the matching Vboxguestadditions.iso Do I simply delete the one in the Oracle folder and move this one over?

In Vbox, CPU is set to 2 and RAM is 2GB. Video Memory is max at 128MB and 3D acceleration is enabled. I have not changed any of the Ubuntu settings
    Yes, move it over and delete the old.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast