Thread: Can I use the Ubuntu logo in a document?

Beans

Can I use the Ubuntu logo in a document?

Hello,
    I would like to know if I can use the Ubuntu logo for a document in its title page. The document is for a school project and I'm interested in using the Circle of Friends logo. I read the logo usage guidelines and I'll follow them, but I want to know if attribution is required in order to use it and how should I do it.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Can I use the Ubuntu logo in a document?

Hello and Welcome

I have used the logo for computer wallpaper many times and for a speech about Ubuntu/Linux. The attribution in the project document depends on what the instructor requires. APA or MLA format may require citations for images. You can find out how to cite an image for each document format and what to include with a search.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

It wouldn't hurt to put the little trademark symbol ™ next to the logo.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Hello and Welcome

I have used the logo for computer wallpaper many times and for a speech about Ubuntu/Linux. The attribution in the project document depends on what the instructor requires. APA or MLA format may require citations for images. You can find out how to cite an image for each document format and what to include with a search.
    My instructor hasn't said anything about quoting and attributing work that doesn't belong to us. In fact, many students have sent homework without including any bibliography.

It's the first time I make an APA citation. Is writing the following in a citation section at the end of the document enough? Canonical Ltd. (2019, July 30). Circle of Friends [Figure]. Retrieved from https://design.ubuntu.com/downloads/.
    What date should I use in the citation?

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to put the little trademark symbol ™ next to the logo.
    The logo will be used in the middle of the cover page. I made it using a frame in LibreOffice so it's vertically aligned. Putting a copyright/trademark character would make it look less pleasing. Is writing "Ubuntu is a registered trademark of Canonical Ltd." in the aforementioned citation section valid as well?
    Last edited by volterral; July 30th, 2019 at 05:14 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Logo use guidelines

Canonical’s logos are presented in multiple colours and it is important that their visual integrity be maintained. It is therefore preferable that the logos should only be used in their standard form, but if you should feel the need to alter them in any way, you should following the guidelines set out below.

Registered Trademark ®

The Ubuntu word and associated logos are Registered Trademarks. When using the Ubuntu logo, please include the ®, unless the size or location of the logo or reference makes this impossible or detrimental to the look and feel, in which case you should identify the logo as a Canonical TM by stating in an appropriate and obvious place “Ubuntu is a registered trademark of Canonical Ltd.

Found here: https://design.ubuntu.com/brand/ubuntu-logo/
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

It's the first time I make an APA citation. Is writing the following in a citation section at the end of the document enough? Canonical Ltd. (2019, July 30). Circle of Friends [Figure]. Retrieved from https://design.ubuntu.com/downloads/.
    Based on what you have written about the instructors expectations that would be more than enough. See the previous post regarding the trademark.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    Logo use guidelines

Canonical’s logos are presented in multiple colours and it is important that their visual integrity be maintained. It is therefore preferable that the logos should only be used in their standard form, but if you should feel the need to alter them in any way, you should following the guidelines set out below.

Registered Trademark ®

The Ubuntu word and associated logos are Registered Trademarks. When using the Ubuntu logo, please include the ®, unless the size or location of the logo or reference makes this impossible or detrimental to the look and feel, in which case you should identify the logo as a Canonical TM by stating in an appropriate and obvious place “Ubuntu is a registered trademark of Canonical Ltd.

Found here: https://design.ubuntu.com/brand/ubuntu-logo/
    Like I said before, is putting that statement in the citation section enough?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by volterral View Post
    Like I said before, is putting that statement in the citation section enough?
    I've never had any problems following their Guide Lines, Ive' used The "Registered Trademark ®" or added the "Ubuntu is a registered trademark of Canonical Ltd.”
    All of which was done in tasteful and ethical manner.
    To be clear they will let you know if it was done wrong or Illegally. And I believe I got their permission to do it also. (It's been a few years since)
    Last edited by 1fallen; July 30th, 2019 at 09:12 PM.
    With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world.
    Dalai Lama>>
    Code Tags | System-info | Forum Guide lines | Arch Linux, Debian Unstable, FreeBSD

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 1fallen View Post
    I've never had any problems following their Guide Lines, Ive' used The "Registered Trademark ®" or added the "Ubuntu is a registered trademark of Canonical Ltd.”
    All of which was done in tasteful and ethical manner.
    To be clear they will let you know if it was done wrong or Illegally. And I believe I got their permission to do it also. (It's been a few years since)
    Okay, if including that line alongside the APA citation is fine I'll put it in the citation section.

Regarding the guidelines, I don't have any problem either. They're explained very well, like the Circle of Friends surrounding free space. I just wanted to know how to give attribution, which was the only thing I didn't understand when reading the guidelines.

Thank you all for your help.