Thread: Overwrite Windows 10 disk

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Overwrite Windows 10 disk

Hello everyone.

I'm hesitant to ask this because of the danger it poses to readers. I'm on my 91 year old father's computer. He is going into a nursing home in the next couple of weeks and the family wants me to delete the hdd. I used Windows for 6 mo ~10 years ago, but then came to Ubuntu. I no longer have a computer of my own, nor any Linux disks to use Linux tools.

I want to overwrite the disk soon with a single pass. Is Windows Diskpart.exc an appropriate command for the task?

https://www.disk-partition.com/artic...rite-4125.html

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Overwrite Windows 10 disk

Do not know Windows, but any Linux with hdparm will let you use a drive native erase command.

https://tinyapps.org/docs/wipe_drives_hdparm.html
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hey Fred, nice of you to post. I'll look at your suggestion later, (and no doubt coming from you, I'll use it).

Beans

Hello, Mikodo, in the link given by you contains the answer to your question: "Using Windows Diskpart to wipe hard drive is a nice way. But it is more suitable for those people who know computer a lot. If you do not know much about command line, you may meet a damage because the operations on Diskpart is irrevocable. If you need a more securely way to wipe hard drive, you can find a third party software to do it."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thank you for the assertion of 'Windows Diskpart' brown1918. Once I'm at a command prompt, I should be able to follow the link's commands.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hello.

I decided to use Rufus to install Xubuntu 18.04 to a cheap thumb drive I bought today and was going to use it to overwrite the HD with zeros. A family member just told me that some files are still needed. Twas close, as I had the thumb drive ready with Xubuntu to begin. hmm. Luck I guess.

Well, I have a thumb drive with Xubuntu on it. Maybe I'll have use for it somewhere.

Thank you.
    Last edited by mikodo; August 1st, 2019 at 05:08 AM. Reason: to add with zeros