Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Beans

Don't install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

My personal two pennies worth about Ubuntu 18.04 LTS:

Unless you really enjoy being frustrated out of you mind, DO NOT INSTALL IT. It is even worse than Windows 10.

Upgrade for the sake of improvement is always welcome. “Upgrade” for just being different is never welcome. Especially when good working features are removed just to change something. An upgrade should never feel like a downgrade.

If it aren’t broken, don’t repair it. Ubuntu 16.04 was never broken. Neither was Ubuntu 14.04, or any other earlier version.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Don't install Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Not a support request.

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Could it be aging hardware?

Maybe MATE would be more to your liking, its light and built on gnome2. Its pretty much 10.04 reborn.

But what do I know, I even like Win10.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As cruser001 says, this may be more related to your specific hardware than just 18.04 being a bad release, which it definitely isn't.
    18.04, however, does use a completely different DE to 16.04, using a version of gnome-3 and no longer unity. It all works very well if you use it as intended with appropriate hardware, but not in the same way that unity in 16.04 did.

Try another DE and you may be very happy again!

Beans

I second that. I also second the Xfce desktop! Xubuntu 18.04 is trouble-free for me on modest hardware that is about 10 years old now.

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer001 View Post
    Could it be aging hardware?
    So are you saying that I should not just throw away a perfectly working OS just because you declared it "dead", I must also throw away a perfectly working computer? And then some people still wonder where all the human junk comes from that is already chocking our planet to death.

Beans

No one has suggested that! But we have suggested a "lighter-weight" desktop flavor that will keep your computer humming along for years to come! My favorite is Xubuntu because the desktop is elegant, beautiful, infinitely configurable, and without the "sudden changes" that have put you off Ubuntu. Gnome did that, KDE did that, but Xfce is slow to develop (which means it's stable and solid). Try Xubuntu before you threaten to abandon your computer or your distro.

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans

Artim, my point is, why should I throw away a perfectly good and working OS just because someone else wants something to change? Why can't I keep on using Ubuntu 14.04 which I kwow perfecrly well by now and which I am perfectly happy with? Why must I waste a lot of time again to change to and learn to use Xubuntu or what ever if I have been happy with what I have for many years?

Beans

Because no one can support aging versions of Linux for years on end. Canonical hardly has the resources of Microsoft. Software moves quickly in the open-source world, and developers struggle to keep current as it is.

16.04 will still be supported until 2021. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Because no one can support aging versions of Linux for years on end. Canonical hardly has the resources of Microsoft. Software moves quickly in the open-source world, and developers struggle to keep current as it is.
    Really??? But they do have plenty of time to develop a complettely different looking OS!! Makes perfect sense doesn't it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast